Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone explain the difference between a stock and a nodular 3rd member in a 9"?

·
Registered
986 Posts
i am pretty sure it has a better case in the third and can hold huge HP. also single and double rib are available, but nodular is the shit:eek:

·
Premium Member
3,149 Posts
the original versions offered in ford muscle cars and some trucks have a square pattern in the ribs right over the pinion with an "N" embossed in the case

·
Registered
391 Posts
when you here nodular, think nickel.
they have a higher nickel content than typical housings. Nickel enhances the castings strength/density. This term is also used when describing certain early model and aftermarket engine blocks (from variety of mfgs.).
Another nicety of most "N" housings (common only to Ford 9" drop out centers) is that they were coated on the inside with a slipery orange colored coating to enhace oiling of R/P (ring and pinion).

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So basically it is just a stronger housing. Now what advantage does this provide in rock crawling? I guess if you were to drag it on rocks a lot, I can see that, but is that it?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
nodular iron is more ductile.It will flex before it breaks.This makes it less brittle that regular cast iron.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
The strange nodular centersection has cool bearing caps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts