Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
86 Samurai with lockright in back. I have a rr-rr-rr noise consistent with vehicle speed. It is loudest when off the gas and in gear (3rd, 4th, 5th). I took off the driveshafts and checked them - ujoints are fine. Sounds like it is coming from transfer case but I'm thinking it is the 3rd member in back. My question is does this problem sound consistent with the 3rd member and if I find out that is the source should I find one in a junk yard and put the lockright in that case or keep the lockright in the case it is now and just put a used ring on and put that into a used case?

Thanks

·
Registered
585 Posts
Grab hold of the rear pinion flange, shake it around, if it moves, there's your problem. Do the same for the t-case.
I had a bad rear end on the samurai for about 2k miles, pinion bearings were shot and it did about what you described.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked at the oil in the diff and it resembles that metallic paint you spray cars with. Not good. While I was taking out the differential I stripped the brake nut that attaches to the brake backing plate. Suggestions on how to get it off and what to replace it with?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Sounds like it may also be a bad wheel bearing. they will sometime make noise, sometimes not. inspect all the parts, check the pinion bearing and carrier bearings....as was mentioned. Also the oil is a great tell tale, but if you did a change but disposed of the oil without checking it, pull the center chunk and check the oil/sludge that will be left in the botom of the housing, looking for metal flakes there.

Good luck, if the bearings or gears are bad, it may be cheeper to buy a new center chunk than rebuild the one you have.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All of the ring gear bolts were loose. Oops forgot to use locktight. What is the best way to clean the housing of the debris that is left?

·
Registered
330 Posts
cleaning

get a bucket and some the universal cleaning fluid {gasoline}
wash all gear lube off then blow dry {with compressed air}

·
Registered
585 Posts
haha, universal cleaning fluid, that's funny.:p

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Use mineral spirits and kerosineyour basic cleaning mixture if it were to be realy gunked up. if your justwashing the film off straight mineral spirits works fine or good ohl brake clean.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Douglas said:
What is the best way to clean the housing of the debris that is left?

brake cleaner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts