Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
finally got to testing my rig but stopped due to a loud WHAACK! that come from the rear diff when i change direction from front or reverse.
i know theyre supposed to clank often but this sound just made me park it and plan to pull out the diff center asap for fear i could be on my way to wreckng another diff.
so long as i stay in the same direction no noise, but as soon as i change (or keep changing) WHAACK!

its a brand new (locker) unit and theyre no adjustments for slack as far as i can tell.

front diff has a true track and is quiet (so far) but thers a huge play in the pinion so it too must come out (though i think thats cause the gears are worn out)

any advise / suggestions?

oh its a rover 24 spline unit (and under a sami ;) )

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
finally got to testing my rig but stopped due to a loud WHAACK! that come from the rear diff when i change direction from front or reverse.
i know theyre supposed to clank often but this sound just made me park it and plan to pull out the diff center asap for fear i could be on my way to wreckng another diff.
so long as i stay in the same direction no noise, but as soon as i change (or keep changing) WHAACK!

its a brand new (locker) unit and theyre no adjustments for slack as far as i can tell.

front diff has a true track and is quiet (so far) but thers a huge play in the pinion so it too must come out (though i think thats cause the gears are worn out)

any advise / suggestions?

oh its a rover 24 spline unit (and under a sami ;) )
I'm a little confused by your post :confused: Is this a Suzuki axle with a problem or a Rover axle?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Detroit's are loud as shit. That seems totally normal.

I have an automatic locker in my YJ, and I'll just drive down the road, and the huge THUNK will happen, sounds like the locker busted an axle shaft...but really it's just the 'automatic locker' being automatic.

So all in all, this should be a normal thing, especially for a locker like Detroit. Those thing's are beefcake.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pulled out the center (?) and besides alotta rust (bye bye bearings) there doesnt seem to be any problem.

also read up on lots of posts and yes it seems normal. but is sure does bring an ' oh shit! whats that? look to everyones faces when it does its thing

im pretty confident somethings gonna get wrecked with that much slack tho...

as loose soil is mainly traversed gear power shifting (?) is common place and so is rocking the car forward/reverse to get outta situataions and thats where i anticipate problemos

its a 2 pin center too, what locker comes with 4 pin standard? i know KAM has it as an option.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
The only thing that happens to the YJ with the locker is every month or so I gotta go out and tighten the right rear leaf pack U bolts, sometimes they get too lose and the center pin almost pops out of the u bolt plate.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
its a rover axled suzuki....
It would probably be better to ask the folks in the Rover forum. I know lunchbox lockers are pretty generic from vehicle to vehicle, but they would have a lot more experience with that type of axle and can answer if it's normal or not.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I run a Ford 9" and a D44 up front with dual Detroit no spin lockers and they are really quiet and smooth.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts