·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
78 K10 cab
Glove box "lock" removal ?

http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff233/rodmud/Glove%20box%20lock/

Hinge busted off.
I do not know if I need a key (don't have), or what to do, to get the lock/latch out.
I tried picking the little springs/circlips ect. but no luck. It has to unscrew somehow, right?
LMC show 3 pieces ($40total) of the lock. I have a new plastic liner/hinge. I just want to reuse the lock I have.
I don't care that I have to use a knife or change to open the dam thing, but when it falls out I get pissed.

Help?

Gayest tech evarrrr!! But I'm lost and will not go to the purty street truck sites.:homer:
Flame away.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
when i replaced mine there was a nut that went internally into the lock housing from the face of the glovebox right behind the knob after it is removed maybe that will help...

·
Registered
589 Posts
on the back side close to the door is a slot or two, theres a metal tab in there you gotta push in to get the lock mechanism to slide out. once thats out the back unscrews off the front inner piece. sorry I dont have any pics.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
as metioned above. you can disassemble the locks from the back side. it has some retainer clips etc

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glove Box Lock, Removal

Thanks for the help. I added the title for the SEARCH.

OK, I got it fixed. Useless tech, but maybe it will help someone.

What worked for me is, push down on the lock cylinder pins, blue arrows, as you pull the tumbler out. No key is needed, but the latch needs to be in the unlatched position.
I used a pick to push the pins down, through the hole, green arrow. They only catch one at a time while removing. Once the cylinder was out, I unscrewed the collar(?) middle piece by hand. It was already loose. Big allen or torx head. I used a big flathead to tighten it.

Pulled the four screws out of the "box" slid it out, quicky paint job, and reversed the process.

When I put the tumbler/cylinder back in, the pins need to be pushed down as they go in(front side), before they hit the "release" hole.
Some caught the inside hole, some didn't. Almost a three handed job, but not quite. I see the chrome winged part helpful. Someday...

Done. I added pics, and will try to link one.

Link in first post. I tried to size it down, but , well photobucket screwed up. Sorry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts