Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do i get the axle shafts out of this axle?

all i see is the 4 bolts that hold the unit bearing to the steering knuckle.

I've hit them with a punch, no love. i've gotten it out maybe a 1/2 inch with wedge and various pry bars. Im trying not to mar the mating surfaces.

rent a slide hammer?

every search it seems turns up a hub i dont have

·
Launch it
2,352 Posts
First, pull the hub and snap rings holding the shaft to the UB.
What's holding you up is the vacuum seal on the shaft. I may have a pic somewhere.

Found it.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
You need to pull the locking hub. Super Duty axle by the looks of it.

There is a "retainer ring" holding the locking hub on.

·
Launch it
2,352 Posts
You need to pull the locking hub. Super Duty axle by the looks of it.

There is a "retainer ring" holding the locking hub on.

It looks like he has the retaining ring removed... That hub can still be a bitch to pull though of it's been in there a while.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for responding guys. my garage is trashed, there is spilt diff fluid and kitty litter everywhere, and the tj is stuck in the driveway and it's 90 degrees with a 100 percent humidity in houston today. i'm frustrated with this project already

whats the prefered method of yanking the locking hub out?

·
Launch it
2,352 Posts
thanks for responding guys. my garage is trashed, there is spilt diff fluid and kitty litter everywhere, and the tj is stuck in the driveway and it's 90 degrees with a 100 percent humidity in houston today. i'm frustrated with this project already

whats the prefered method of yanking the locking hub out?

I see you got it, but for future reference my method was always griping the center with channel locks and tapping with a hammer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alrighty. thanks again.

any insight on how to get the stub seals out of the knuckles ? I tried pliers and just ripped chunks out

·
Launch it
2,352 Posts
I hammered them from the backside and destroyed them in the process. I could only find reference to them being vacuum seals, so I just ditched them. I haven't wheeled enough to find out if that was a poor decision or not.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hammered them from the backside and destroyed them in the process. I could only find reference to them being vacuum seals, so I just ditched them. I haven't wheeled enough to find out if that was a poor decision or not.
it was disgustingly easy with a crow bar on the long shaft and axle tube

·
blatant asshole
11,843 Posts
you dont even NEED to pull the hub but its easier to do as 2 seperate parts.

you will want the seals in the knuckle, with out them the spindle bearing are exposed and water'n shit will get into the locking hubs from the back side.

·
Launch it
2,352 Posts
Before I decided to run it without the seal, I checked with guys I knew running the same axle, and the consensus was it's not necessary, but may help. I only have 3 trips on mine so far though...

One thing about your statement though, if it is so important, what are the guys running 35 spline doing? The seal ID is too small for 35 spline stubs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts