Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im currently looking for a diesel truck and came across a 95 dodge ram 2500 4x4 with the cummins and the odometer shows 237,xxx miles. The truck looks real clean and taken care but im not sure if 237,xxx miles is a lot? Is there anything else I should look at on the truck that might save me some hassles later on down the road? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon:homer:

·
Registered
968 Posts
Is it an auto or manual trans? It is not uncommon for these engines to run 300K + if they are well taken care of. The auto's of that era can have some issues, and the 5th gear nut of the manuals can back off the shaft and cause some serious problems. I'd ask if anything has been done to correct them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a five speed and the clutch is brand new but I will have to ask about any other work done to the tranny. Thanks for the help I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Do a quick search. The topic of diesel motor longevity has been discussed about a billion times...

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Ask to see if the "killer dowel pin" has been taken care of. If it hasn't, I would suggest taking care of it sooner than later or else you may have extra cost involved with getting it taken care of. Otherwise, as was already mentioned, the 5th gear nut on the 5 speed trannys had a tendency to back off. I would check to see if there have been any tranny issues as well.

Anything other than those things would be just what I would classify as normal maintenance. I bought a CTD that had just over 300k miles on it and it has needed some work, but nothing more than what I could expect from a vehicle that had high mileage. So far, I've replaced almost every seal on the truck due to leaks (motor, tranny, transfer case, axles, etc.) and am going through all the other components as I replace the seals to make sure there isn't something else wrong with the truck. This truck was extremely abused when I bought it and I am very impressed at how durable it is considering what kind of treatment it has received.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts