Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My buddy has a 85 4runner stock motor, 33's, stock gears it's obviously solid axle with fuel injection. About 2 months ago, the MAF went out so he took it to a shop who charged 90 to diagnose and say it was only the MAF. $225 later he had a new maf and 50 miles later it went out. He took it back and the mechanic wanted to charge him another $225 for another maf. He refused because it was under warranty and the guy agreed and put another maf in it. First he said it was new then changed it to being "rebuilt" anyway he got it back and put another 60 miles on it before the MAF went out again. So after another 90 diagnostic, he was told it needed a new o2 sensor and new plugs. He had that done and along with another new MAF drove home. he got about 30 miles and the MAF went out again

when the maf goes out it loses about half the engine power and starts running very rich (you can really smell the gas)

Some people have said that the engine comuter is bad and others have suggested a 12volt source draining into the maf wiring from the headlight wiring. Do you guys have any ideas why the MAF would be going bad after only 30-60 miles? is this common on the 1985 22re motor?

·
Marlin Crawler, Inc.
1,443 Posts
First off, no offense, but tell your friend to find another mechanic. I don't trust people who don't stand behind their work in an auto garage, especially when they charge more money for a problem they have not resolved.

This is not a common issue with the 22R-E engine.

I would suggest that the mechanic is using a bad unit to begin with, and instead of replacing it the second time like he should have, he just opened it up and tried cleaning it.

Since this is not a common problem, I would recommend simply using a AFM from your local wrecking yard for around $40 (not $225 for a rebuilt one!)

If you suspect a problem in the wiring, does your friend have a factory sevice manual? I can look at the wiring for it later tonight, maybe, but you need to have a good ground, ignition hot, sensor signal, and I think a couple others.

Do you guys know of anyone who has a similar Toyota 4WD or 2WD with a 1985-1989 22R-E engine? You could use a multimeter and check resistance on the grounds and the signal wire.

I would not start adding any circuits at this time until you first check the existing ones.

Good luck. Sometimes while diagnosing a wiring problem, you may be spending a lot of time on a sure bet, when the problem could be in a completely different location.

Regards,
BigMike

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I understand the mechanics position, but that's why you pay mechanics - to KNOW their work and stand behind it.
At a minimum, the mechanic should have dropped the labor costs.

We need to know what part of the MAF fails... If it was a good unit and something is killing it, knowing what it's connected to can help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts