Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know there is lots of us that would like to get some info on places to wheel besides the obvious: Con, Fordyce and Barrett Lake Trail.

Lets get some detail trail information and location of GOOD rock crawling places in NorCal and Western Nv. We want to try to find stuff that is with in a 4 hour radious drive from Sacramento area. Pics are always a plus!

Once again:

1. Detailed road map Trail Location? (GPS Coordenance a plus)
2. Detailed Trail Information and trail name?

Cheers
:beer:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
1) Bowman Lake Loop
Location: Nevada County, north of Yuba Pass on interstate 80 and U.S. 20
Highlights: Canyons, lakes, old town site and cemetery
Difficulty: Easy
Time and Distance: 2 days. But there's so much to see and do that I recommend it for a 3-day weekend, so bring your camping gear. (About 90 miles with optional side trips.) Bring water, and a filter for getting more.
Getting There: About 3.7 miles west of where US 20 and I-80 intersect at Yuba Pass, turn north from US 20 toward Bowman Lake on Forest Road 18, west of Lake Spalding.

2) Barker Pass Loop
Highlights: Lakes, Waterfowl, mountain vistas
Difficulty: The first 6.5 miles or so are rough. I'll rate that leg moderate. Then it improves to an easy rating.
Time and Distance: About an hour and 4.8 miles from Tahoma to pretty Miller Lake. Entire Loop is about 30 miles and at least 3 hours. Add an hour or so if you explore spurs, picnic, etc.
Getting There: Turn southwest off Highway 89 at Tahoma onto McKinney-Rubicon Springs Road. A quarter -mile later, go left at the fork, following the sign on the tree. Continue following the signs to a stop sign. Go straight across the road. You'll see a sign saying Miller Lake, 4 miles. There's an off-highway vehicle staging area a short distance farther. Set your odometer to 0 there.

3) Indian Valley
Location: Alpine County, south of state Highway 88 and about 10 miles straight southeast of Carson Pass
Highlights: Pretty lakes and meadows, high craggy peaks, stream crossings. Difficulty: Easy, with a moderate spot or two.
Time and Distance: About 3 hours and 38 miles round trip from Highway 88. Not a loop.
Getting There: 4 miles east of Red Lake on Highway 88, turn south on the paved road to Blue Lakes. About 7 miles later the road will become fairly rough but easy gravel and rock. At about 9.4 miles from the highway turn left at the sign to Tamarack Lake and Wet Meadow on Forest Road 097.

4) Caples Lake Overlook
Location: El Dorado & Alpine counties; north of Caples Lake and Highway 88, and about 16 miles due south of Lake Tahoe
Highlights: A mix of pastoral and high Sierra scenes
Difficulty: Easy to moderate, with a stream crossing I'll rate moderate.
Time and Distance: 4 hours and 7.5 miles round trip. This is not a loop.
Getting There: About 0.7 mile east of the Caples Lake dam, turn north from Highway 88 onto paved Schneider Cow Camp Road and set your odometer to 0.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Bearbait,

Thank you for the detailed information. Exactly what I was looking for. But looking for more "extreme" (I guess you would call it) rock crawling. Big rock stuff more for crawling. Trails that are more like 1.5miles that take you 3 hours to get threw. Stuff like that. Although some of these trails you are talking about I will take note and head out to these areas to do some Fly Fishing.

Who else knows of some crawling type trails???

·
Registered
720 Posts
If you want 'hard core', come to Vegas! We do a lot of rock crawlin' here. If you want to come for a visit let me know and we will go wheelin'. Check out the club I belong to,Grimm Jeepers

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vegas is cool and all but if I were going to drive that far I would hit the Hammers and AZ first.

Still looking for good local crawling. Anyone else?

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
just hint, but your not gonna get much info on the ggod stuff as most people know what happens once the "goods" are discovered. know what i mean?;)

·
Registered
816 Posts
Bunch of fawken hold-outs. I'll gladly give up my real sister for some prime trail info.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
what about the trails at hell hole resivor never been there myself but i hear they are pretty good

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
-highway 4 trails(not at all extreme, but i take the family) deer valley, slick rock.
-east of fresno(same as above) dusy-ershim, red mountain, coyote, swamp lake, etc
-hollister hills park(creek trail and tank trap can easily put a smile on anyones face)
-frank raines(nice place, short creek trail looks like great fun, im gonna test my rig out there in a few weeks..

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Paul, how do you get to this highway4 slick rock place. I think I saw some pics of this last year and at least it is close.

Also, what is this Frank Raines place all about? Big rock? Where is it?

Also, you Reno guys step in. I know there is some good shit about there. Besides Moon Rocks, what else is there? And at Moon Rocks area (which is huge) is there some other good places to crawl some good rocks besides where the CalRoc event is held?

Booger Weldz said:
-highway 4 trails(not at all extreme, but i take the family) deer valley, slick rock.
-east of fresno(same as above) dusy-ershim, red mountain, coyote, swamp lake, etc
-hollister hills park(creek trail and tank trap can easily put a smile on anyones face)
-frank raines(nice place, short creek trail looks like great fun, im gonna test my rig out there in a few weeks..

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
the highway 4 trails arent worth the drive for you unless you wanna come down and camp/fish as well. the trails take just an hour or 2 and arent very high on the wow factor, the scenery however is top notch. i take the family....slickrock is out highway 4 from 99 about 1.25 hours east turn ritght at spicer resevoir turn off and about 10 miles later take the gravel road to the back of uttica/union resevoirs. roger browns page has good directions, it should be even funner with the snow melt still on the trail, deer valley is up outta hermit valley and runs up to 88(blue lakes) its a beauty and a little harder(relatively).

these trails make up for the lack of technical wheelin with scenery and great campin areas:D

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Hi Dave, How did your Runner do at the Jambo is it still in one peice?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It did really good. Still in one piece. I have to modify a few things but besides that it worked great. How are things coming on your rig? When you makding your first trip? We are going to this Frank Raine's place this next weekend if you and Paul want to tag along?

Sheri said:
Hi Dave, How did your Runner do at the Jambo is it still in one peice?

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
He's hooking my compressor right now and I hope to be getting the rest of the mechanical stuff done this week but it still needs alot of welding done just time. Thanks for the invite I'll let you know if its ready or mabe will just take Paul's. Glad to here you held together. :D

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Yea, my shit held up pretty good. Here is a pic from the weekend. I need to shorten my front shackles, my front long slip drive line is being shortened right now a couple of inches, need to put a plate on my driver side front spring pad to level my rig out cause it leans just slightly to the drivers side and then just add some 4degree shims to my front axle and that should work out most of the bugs. An Exo, some new master craft front seats, winch and pimp system and I will be done for this years work.
Sheri said:
He's hooking my compressor right now and I hope to be getting the rest of the mechanical stuff done this week but it still needs alot of welding done just time. Thanks for the invite I'll let you know if its ready or mabe will just take Paul's. Glad to here you held together. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Crust said:
Bunch of fawken hold-outs. I'll gladly give up my real sister for some prime trail info.
nice attitude.:rolleyes:

most of the places we go are on private property, so we have permission from the owners to go out there. the problem is when this guy tells this guy, who just goes out there with this guy who has no idea who owns the place. then we have problems. get it?;)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts