Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
10,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Starting this thread because im bored tonight :flipoff2:, gonna start this week on it and i will be documenting it.

The jist of this build is that you start with a norinco hunter rifle. These are milled receivers, in 7.62x39mm, with a slant cut rear trunnion. These rifles come in two types, Type I and Type II. The difference is the mag catch. Type I is the SKS style and Type II is the AK style. The type II is easier to build off of just because it saves you a few steps. But the majority of the build is welding in the rear trunnion and pressing off the old GB and pressing on the new GB. The mag catch you just weld up the holes and redrill them.

The Hunter you throw away everything but the barreled receiver and the bolt. Then you replace everything with galil parts.

The reason im doing this is ive always wanted a galil rifle but i could never stomach the thought of buying another stock pile of magazines. thankfully i have a shit ton of AK-47 European mags laying around. Also, assembled Galil rifles are over $1000 right now. Even the golani-hunters are $1000 plus right now, which is crazy. This build will be sub $800 total.

So lets start with a bubba-fied $400 norinco hunter type I rifle.

Doesnt look so bad from a-far...

Oh no...

Oh no no no no

no no no no no no no no no

Mix in a bag of big igloo parts....

more to come later this week....

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Cool project, what the heck was the bubba trying to do?

Doubt anyone will be upset about the conversion. It's pretty rough.

Have wanted a Galil for a while, but don't want to spend the coin for a preban. Makes more sense to me in 7.62X39 taking AK mags.

·
Registered
10,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool project, what the heck was the bubba trying to do?
Looks like he tried to bed the hand guard with JB weld.

Then he tried to move the front sight from the front of the barrel to near the GB. But before doing any measurements he cut new pin grooves. Then just gave up once he found out they had different ODs.

The scope mount holes I have no Idea.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
I planned to convert a hunter but I cheaped out on buying a galil kit...so I just used random parts I had laying around
ace triangle stock, savage rifle rear sight, cetme handguard and a chopped barrel to 14 inch and pinned muzzle

·
Registered
10,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I planned to convert a hunter but I cheaped out on buying a galil kit...so I just used random parts I had laying around
ace triangle stock, savage rifle rear sight, cetme handguard and a chopped barrel to 14 inch and pinned muzzle
Looks good.

I got the receiver and barrel stripped down. Ready to start cutting, welding and drilling. I think im going to do a 14.7" cut and pin/weld an A1 flash hider on it.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Sorry, I might have missed it, but I assume that conversion also converts the caliber from 7.62x39 to 5.56x45? Are you going to use a suppressor that claps onto the birdcage if you pin and weld it to the shorter barrel?

·
Surgical Shotgunner
15,752 Posts
Starting this thread because im bored tonight :flipoff2:, gonna start this week on it and i will be documenting it.

The jist of this build is that you start with a norinco hunter rifle. These are milled receivers, in 7.62x39mm, with a slant cut rear trunnion. These rifles come in two types, Type I and Type II. The difference is the mag catch. Type I is the SKS style and Type II is the AK style. The type II is easier to build off of just because it saves you a few steps. But the majority of the build is welding in the rear trunnion and pressing off the old GB and pressing on the new GB. The mag catch you just weld up the holes and redrill them.

The Hunter you throw away everything but the barreled receiver and the bolt. Then you replace everything with galil parts.

The reason im doing this is ive always wanted a galil rifle but i could never stomach the thought of buying another stock pile of magazines. thankfully i have a shit ton of AK-47 European mags laying around. Also, assembled Galil rifles are over $1000 right now. Even the golani-hunters are $1000 plus right now, which is crazy. This build will be sub $800 total.

So....

Sorry, I might have missed it, but I assume that conversion also converts the caliber from 7.62x39 to 5.56x45? Are you going to use a suppressor that claps onto the birdcage if you pin and weld it to the shorter barrel?

WUT?

Context clues from the OP would lead me to believe there is no caliber change.

·
Registered
10,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
No and no.

this is kindof the goal (minus all the R5 parts)

·
Registered
10,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So i finally got around to working on this. I got distracting during hunting season and my K5 build. But i knocked a bunch out this weekend.

First thing that tripped me up is the kit i bought had the GB still on the barrel stub. I tried a bunch of different things to press it off and my little HF press wouldnt budge it at all. I tried a whole bunch of tricks too and nothing.

So i broke down and just bought another GB. Since AKfiles suggested i drill out the barrel stub, i thought the $100 was well worth my time.

I mounted the GB and the HG retainer then made a rookie mistake of drilling the set pins without checking assembly. Also i cut the hand guard retainer, which might come up a little too long in the end.

When to the assemble check it and found the gas tube was 0.25" short and it stuck out .1" from the receiver face.

So i filed the notch on the GT until it fit flush the with receiver face Then filed the GB down 0.125" to bring the GB closer to the GT. This gave me enough room to re-drill the set pins for the GB.

Everything flush. I know the HG retainer is missing, i have to order a new one as i stupidly broke off the lever on it.

End of Saturday.

·
Registered
10,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Start of sunday. I moved onto the receiver work. You have to somehow get the folding stock mount onto the Hunter receiver. There is a couple ways to do it, but i chose this one. I was hoping to save the Israeli symbol, but the torch cut got real close to it. So we will see how it turns out.

Cleaned up the torch cut receiver stub.

Oh shit, no turning back now. Cut the Hunter receiver.

My weld jig.

Not the best welder. Notice i have to weld up the mag catch holes since this is a Type I and not a Type II. A type II i dont have to do this. I will have to redrill the mag catch holes for the galil mag catch.

Looks not too bad.

End of Sunday, starting to look like a Galil.

·
Registered
10,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think im going to paint it, in the end, this color of "almost Colt Grey"

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
That's some mad gunsmithing skills there! I can certainly appreciate making something useful out of the 'obubbanation,' but you might have a thousand bucks in labor in this thing when finished! :laughing:

·
Registered
10,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did all the dremel work it needed. Cleaned up the welds and cut in the pistol grip mount hole. On to drilling and riveting the mag catch and trigger guard. Then its finish the GB and handguard install. Then assebmle and test function, then paint. So i dont have much left.

·
Registered
10,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got more work done yesterday. I bought the ak builder trigger rivet press and found out it doesn't really work with galil mag releases. I was able to use the hardened plate for inside the receiver, and the small plate for the trigger guard. The main work I just used 1" thick aluminum plates. They deformed to the shape of the steel rivets so the install came out great.

Now I have a functioning rifle

1 - 20 of 46 Posts