Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,895 Posts
Don’t see much of them either here.
Sorry but for some ARs are ok but meh ... to easy
You're new here so I'll cut you a little slack. Search a little bit.

·
Premium Member
17,895 Posts
I shot an SKS one time, same as an AK. Rattly POS. Can't hit the inside of a barn.
Bait set

·
Registered
10,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Got done the cut, crown, thread, pin and weld at 14.5".

Need to disassemble to strip all the cosmoline off. Then paint.

·
Registered
10,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Funny story. I was all set up to paint everything with Brownells Alumahyde II Dark Parkerizing Grey. I sprayed the assembled receiver. Set the can down. Turned around and knocked the can off the table and it landed directly on the plastic nozzle, breaking in half (while breaking the stem off in the penetration). A whole can wasted. Even more retarded, i was only using this color because i had a whole can of it sitting around and didnt want to buy anymore. Shit. So, im waiting on another can to do the rest.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
How difficult is it to use the Alumahyde? I bought a cheap AR upper and apparently it was cheap because the anodizing sucks on the free float rail. I bought a can of camouflage rust-oleum that I was going to try and paint it with.

·
Surgical Shotgunner
15,752 Posts
How difficult is it to use the Alumahyde? I bought a cheap AR upper and apparently it was cheap because the anodizing sucks on the free float rail. I bought a can of camouflage rust-oleum that I was going to try and paint it with.
It's just as difficult as any other spray paint. It's just a very high quality spray paint that takes well to oven curing.

·
Registered
10,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
It's just as difficult as any other spray paint. It's just a very high quality spray paint that takes well to oven curing.
Ive had good luck with it, but the trick is once you paint it, dont touch it for 10 days. Leave it indoors and forget about it. If you start fiddling with it a few days after you will fuck it up. Dont even assemble the parts back together, just leave them alone.

Ive had no luck with oven curing it to cut down on dry time. Some people do, but i havent so YMMV.

·
Surgical Shotgunner
15,752 Posts
Ive had good luck with it, but the trick is once you paint it, dont touch it for 10 days. Leave it indoors and forget about it. If you start fiddling with it a few days after you will fuck it up. Dont even assemble the parts back together, just leave them alone.

Ive had no luck with oven curing it to cut down on dry time. Some people do, but i havent so YMMV.
Your humidity probably has a big impact on the cure time and oven curing. But you're right, it's best to leave it alone for 7 days to be sure.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Same to similar experience with alumahyde as Texas and IEATRKS84. Leave it set or hang for to days. do not touch it, do not assemble it, let it alone to cure. I have oven cured it, but you have to watch out for smudging or the racks making marks on it.

Smells pretty bad when you bake it too.

Liking the grey park look.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Same to similar experience with alumahyde as Texas and IEATRKS84. Leave it set or hang for to days. do not touch it, do not assemble it, let it alone to cure. I have oven cured it, but you have to watch out for smudging or the racks making marks on it.

I am sure that my wife would not be very happy with me if I oven cured gun parts, well anything really, in "her" oven.

·
Registered
10,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·

I am sure that my wife would not be very happy with me if I oven cured gun parts, well anything really, in "her" oven.
I did this guy just recently with Alumahyde. It was a heavily rusted Star BM that i got for $100. Someone left it in a tackle box. I removed as much rust as a could, then just painted over the pitting. Looks good IMHO.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
That looks awesome. Brings back memories of when I saw one for the first time many years ago

21 - 40 of 45 Posts