Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don´t want to be a dick about this, but............

Am I the ONLY person who has noticed a STEEP FAWKING DECLINE in the quality of the topics being raised on this site??? The Zuk board in particular has suffered badly, but the other sections are also sucking big time lately.

Like many other people, I had migrated here from the ORC boards and Topica / Yahoo lists because the signal-to-noise ratio on those forums had become unbearable. Now it seems that POR is becoming one more of the same............:confused: :(

Examples of recent threads:

- definition of wheel backspacing
- headlight electrical problems
- lug stud thread designetion
- some party pooper PM shit

So, am I alone with this perception??:(

NOTE: The above cited examples are just that: EXAMPLES. Therefore, please don´t start a fawking flame fest. that will get us nowhere and just add to the problem.......

·
Hophead
77,642 Posts
When I'm able to answer questions on the Pirate Suzuki board you know it's gotten soft :D

·
Registered
17,975 Posts
billj said:
Examples of recent threads:

- definition of wheel backspacing
- headlight electrical problems
- lug stud thread designetion
- some party pooper PM shit

Although I do agree with you Bill, I must admit there are lots of topics that I was ready to ignore or otherwise look upon with derision, and was caught off guard.

Someone can post a "simple" problem, that to you would be 3rd grade level, but then casually drop some little tidbit of info that I have gone "whoa, *that* was unexpected. I didn't know that" or "oh man, all these years I had the wrong specs on xyz"

Granted I'm reaching a bit here kinda playing Devil's advocate, but come awn, it's within the realm of reason that a person that has had a headlight electrical problem (I have) or wondered about getting a part # match for non stock longer wheel studs (me, too again) may look at "seat height" questions with equal raised eyebrows, no?

I'm not condoning fluff tech either, but am constantly amazed by how little I thought I knew about "simple" stuff.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UZI, your point was eloquently made and is well taken.....

I simply wished to raise question to a apparent decline in the quality of the subject matter here. What used to be hearty conversations regarding engine swaps, t-case mods, tubed-out chassis and suspension theory has seemingly degenerated to headlights, lug studs and yes, I suppose even seats......:p

Your right about the hidden jewels of info, though. Sometimes we find gold in even the most unlikely of locations. I´d just like to see the gold mine be a little more fruitful........;)

Dunno, could be the season. With most of the Northern Hemisphere in deep-freeze, wheeling subject matter may be a bit harder to come by.:D

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
well I have to agree..... Personally, ive been getting less out of this forum and havnt felt like posting replies. Like Billj some migrated here because of the softness on other boards.

I used to read almost every post and see some cool stuff, id rather read 10 axle swap posts than 1 door handle replacment thread....

some random thoughts......
It's the "off season" so were not seeing the kinda of pics that usually put immediate fear into any newbie still in lurk mode.

Were seeing less "just cut it off" or swap in bigger axles attitude.

It's the same way if you slamed people like we do here on another board, they tell ya to tone it down....

I think the entire fourm is going soft and this will be a new ORC level board. With the list heavys moving on to some new hang out.....

I even find my self trying to be nice to newbies thinking im turining into a oager....

-y (O)ager

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Maybe people are doing as they are TOLD and using the Search function, or going to ORC where they won't be hazed as they are TOLD to.

Maybe it has to do with the problem that POR has had of late with speed. People loose interest if a site is down too much.

Maybe people find that POR isn't what they were looking for because its to hard to ask any question without some smart answer.

Its funny sometimes when there are more posts about what not to post and why not to post than answers to legit questions.
Maybe we should just answer truthfuly, post what we want, and let the board evolve into what it will be instead of trying to hold onto something that may not work.

What do we get out of pissing on the newbies? Why not just direct them to a thread that has some rules and suggestions for posting like the Jeep lists do??????

This is all supposed to be fun, informative and a HOBBY!

Relax, turn off your computer and go outside and play now:flipoff2:

·
Registered
10,725 Posts
Me thinks it took a temporary turn for the worse with server probs, shut downs, etc leading to fewer people using the board. Seems to be back up and running better now, and I would think the info will improve accordingly.

Hey Puker, you in town this weekend? I feel like cooking Tupperware Fondue, swillin' beer, and fixing my gawd damned truck. :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
35,606 Posts
I agree with Billj and Zukipuke.

It has gotten soft and more BS threads are staying up.
If it is a tech question I guess it's ok.
But the answer to too many are
"Get off you sorry arse and go measure it"
or
"Go ask the zit faced kid at advanced auto, he'll be able to answer that one"

It is the down season.

I am currently building up my war chest to swap my front springs and do some sort of high steer.
The last couple of evenings I've been formulating a plan for a cage, measuring and gathering materials.
Haven't been wheeling too much.
Last saturday I had to winch twice while out hunting in the snow.

I just don't have a lot to talk about.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
mudlite said:
Maybe people are doing as they are TOLD and using the Search function, or going to ORC where they won't be hazed as they are TOLD to.

Maybe it has to do with the problem that POR has had of late with speed. People loose interest if a site is down too much.

Maybe people find that POR isn't what they were looking for because its to hard to ask any question without some smart answer.

Its funny sometimes when there are more posts about what not to post and why not to post than answers to legit questions.
Maybe we should just answer truthfuly, post what we want, and let the board evolve into what it will be instead of trying to hold onto something that may not work.

What do we get out of pissing on the newbies? Why not just direct them to a thread that has some rules and suggestions for posting like the Jeep lists do??????

This is all supposed to be fun, informative and a HOBBY!

Relax, turn off your computer and go outside and play now:flipoff2:

Well said (for a fawking Canadian) :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FLEXYSAMMY said:

Well said (for a fawking Canadian) :flipoff2:

Aww, Mud just said that shite cuz he´s a noobie only starting out on modufying his rig. After he cuts off his first door hinge, he´ll chenge that nicey, schmicey tune he´s whistlin´:flipoff2:

·
Registered
138 Posts
howdy,
i find POR to be the same as it was last year at this time. i have stayed below radar for a long time before i registered. then after i did, i still lerked. so maybe some of the more recent post have been below major tech, but still tech worthy. but then again as you build you pass limits and move onto other things. and without newbies you have no new tech. as for me i am close to the end build on my third sammi. and major tech has gone south for me and tweaking tech has risen above the major. so the only way to get some major tech back into the board is threw newbies, new ideas, new products, and a new wheelen year. sorry but is fawken cold out and my sammi has no top and no heater.
i hope you can see my side, but i'm just a fawking newbie :flipoff2: , have been since my first sammi in 1996.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
billj said:

Aww, Mud just said that shite cuz he´s a noobie only starting out on modufying his rig. After he cuts off his first door hinge, he´ll chenge that nicey, schmicey tune he´s whistlin´:flipoff2:
:confused: Uhhh are you talking to me?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Rip you lazy bastard ! You had your chance, no...... "lets drink beer and grill out" That don't exaclty get things done !!!! :flipoff2:

You start unbolting things and ill come down to help. That way I can drink beer and tell lies and watch you wrench...

Real reason:
Im setting up an 8.8 for a jeep friend this weekend... When thats done he will be slaving on the puke the rest weekend.

What's the deal with that chick you broght over ??!?!?!?

-yag

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
mudlite said:
POR isn't what they were looking for.
I'm sorry, but since we're off topic already, I'm going to derail your thread momentarily. :p

This one has bugged me more and more as time went by. *Most* of us have never met a member of POR (The actual CLUB out in CA)... and mudlite isn't saying new visitors are disappointed in people in the POR 4x4 club. He's saying they find they dont fit in on PBB

PBB, not POR.
:D

1 - 20 of 77 Posts