Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where can I get the shifter and linkage for a 4x4 71 chevy, I swapped in a automatic and it pushed the transfer case back a few inches, what year chevy will work? thanks, I just don't want to go to the junckyard and grab the wrong stuff.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
itsbroken said:
where can I get the shifter and linkage for a 4x4 71 chevy, I swapped in a automatic and it pushed the transfer case back a few inches, what year chevy will work? thanks, I just don't want to go to the junckyard and grab the wrong stuff.
Why would you put a 208 in a 71?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
well I figured that.

Is he asking if an 81-87 shifter will fit the floor pan of his 71 truck??:confused:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I put a th400 with a np208 and I don't have the shifter linkage for the transfer case, I was told that swapping an auto trans from a manual pushes the t-case back a few inches and certain linkage would not work because it would require the floor pan to be cut out further back towards the seat making it sort of an awkward position...??? anybody know anything about this? where should I get the linkage for this? thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Factory 208 trucks had the shifter mounted to the body, with a little console on the floor. There is a rod that runs back to the t-case. You could either retrofit this design, or try to adapt something that mounts to the t-case. Note that with a 208, it is very important that there is no pressure applied to the shift lever on the case during normal operation; it is very common for a misadjusted t-case shifter to burn up the range fork in the case.

Pete

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
cut the threaded rod and weld in a piece in the middle or a threaded fitting to lengthen it

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't have a shifter....I just need to know what vehicle to pull the shifter from so I don't have to cut the floor or lengthen the linckage, thanks all your help and input though, does anyone have one or know of what vehicle to pull one from? mabe a mid 80's blazer?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts