Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an SM465 with a dana 300 adapter on it. I already have a 231 t-case. The spline count is the same isn't it? And the bolt pattern is too I belive. Is there any reason I can't use that 231 in place of a 300? I would rather have a 300 but the front axle is a ford with a drivers side pig, and would rather not mess around with changing that.

Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about the flip kit, but don't really like the idea of turning the t case over...but the 231 isn't all that strong...so I still can't decide. Does anyone know what the bolt pattern on a 241 out of a chevy is like? Are they drivers or passenger drop?

Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
What exactly are you putting this into again?

CJ's are passenger side front pumpkins, TJ's are driverside front pumpkins.

Confused....

Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,953 Posts
I vote for the 231.

Here's our phone number 800-504-5337 , just in case you MIGHT need to replace some broken 231 parts later. :rolleyes: :D
Oh yah, we sell Atlas's too. Veddy special price for PBB members. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,719 Posts
dcmsu said:
I thought about the flip kit, but don't really like the idea of turning the t case over...but the 231 isn't all that strong...so I still can't decide. Does anyone know what the bolt pattern on a 241 out of a chevy is like? Are they drivers or passenger drop?

Dan
Same bolt pattern different spline count.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for the confusion...this is actually going into a Jeep that is technically a YJ, but will look like a CJ (grill and hood)...And it has a drivers side front diff out of a Ford.

Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
825 Posts
It depends on the NP231, some are 21 spline some are 23. The 23 spline jobs also have long and short out puts. Bepending on the type of adapter you have for the D300 you may have to use a short or long input NP231.

Also, some adapters for the SM465 offer no rear oil seal, they just fill the adapter up. If this is the style you have you will have to put a double lip seal in the front of the NP231, AA sells it but it is an over the counter Napa part. I don't run that set up any more and lost the P/N but AA will tellyou if you ask really, really nice :D

FWIW, I ran SEVERAL NP231s behind my SM465 befor eI wised up and flipped a D300. Yeah, I know a Alas is only "this much" more but I didn't have "this much." :flipoff2:

The D300 is an all gear splash lube case. Flipping it over does nothing to it's oiling or anything else. I have had my Jeep on longer trips running 65+ MPH with it and no problems so far. As for off road it is just like any other D300. Heck, if you are crawling you hardly need oil in it ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
DUG said:
The D300 is an all gear splash lube case. Flipping it over does nothing to it's oiling or anything else. I have had my Jeep on longer trips running 65+ MPH with it and no problems so far. As for off road it is just like any other D300. Heck, if you are crawling you hardly need oil in it ;)
Yup, the D300 should not care if it is upside down or right side up. As long as the gears are slinging oil, it is happy. When I did my D300 flip/rebuild, I saw nothing in it that would be damaged by flipping it.

BTW - For those that haven't seen my D300 flip writeup lately, I added a site tube to it so it now looks even more like a mini Atlas.

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
825 Posts
Blue97TJ said:



BTW - For those that haven't seen my D300 flip writeup lately, I added a site tube to it so it now looks even more like a mini Atlas.

Chris
I did that on mine as well. It worked quite well and is important as the flipped D300 is very sensative to oil level. a little to high and it pukes out the vent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
dcmsu said:
Does anyone know what the bolt pattern on a 241 out of a chevy is like? Are they drivers or passenger drop?

Dan
You can get them in both flavors. The early 90's GM 3/4 and 1 ton IFS trucks use a driver's side drop 241. Don't know if it is a bolt up or not due to the spline count and input length. It is the same round NP bolt pattern. Maybe there is a different input gear that would fit your setup. I do know that there is a SYE kit for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For you guys running a flipped d300, do you have any write ups or pics on your setup? At this point I am leaning towards making my own flip kit to save the $700 that the kit costs. It seems pretty simple, flip it over, get a new shift rod setup (hopefully using existing rods) keep the thing from leaking, and install a sight tube. Anything that I am missing?

Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
825 Posts
IIRC the NP241 shares the same inout dia and 23 splines as a later model NP231, or at least the Jeep version does.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
dcmsu said:
For you guys running a flipped d300, do you have any write ups or pics on your setup? At this point I am leaning towards making my own flip kit to save the $700 that the kit costs. It seems pretty simple, flip it over, get a new shift rod setup (hopefully using existing rods) keep the thing from leaking, and install a sight tube. Anything that I am missing?

Dan
Ask and ye shall receive:

http://members.cox.net/rv6a/d300.html

The kit is worth the money.

Chris
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top