Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
anyone know the spline count on an np231 tcase from a 95 xj with a 4.0 and ax4 tranny.
and can i just take any cherokee np 231 or is it only certain years/models of the xj.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've never heard of an AX4. Was it an automatic (AW4) or 5 speed manual (AX15 came behind the 4.0).

Either way, the spline count should be 23. AW4 has a short input and the AX15 has a long input, so they are still different.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np231.htm

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
There was an AX4 transmission. It was found behind early Yj four cylinders. As such, it was only 21 spline. I don't know what years these were run in Cherokees, as I am really not versed in them. My guess would be most run the more common 23 spline in put 231.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
yea there is no such thing as an ax4! it is an ax5!! idiots!!!:flipoff2: :flipoff2: know ur jeep info quears!!

stoney

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
stoneyxj said:
yea there is no such thing as an ax4! it is an ax5!! idiots!!!:flipoff2: :flipoff2: know ur jeep info quears!!

stoney
According to Novak Conversions

21 Spline 23 Spline
Short Input AW4 (through 1990)
AX4
AX5 Earlier (pre-'95) AX15
AW4 (post-'90)

Long Input Peugeot BA 10/5
Later (post-'94) AX15
TF904 TF999
Peugeot BA 10/5

Medium Input Jeep ZJ's '93 to '95 only

But, it looks like i have an ax15, so 23 spline
:flipoff2:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Cuda3 said:
That link also says: The NP 231J was introduced at the 1988 model year in both the XJ Cherokees with the Command Trac option

I personally can gaurantee you that it was placed in XJ's in late 1986 (1987 models). :rolleyes:

·
Registered
156 Posts
DILLINGER said:

That link also says: The NP 231J was introduced at the 1988 model year in both the XJ Cherokees with the Command Trac option

I personally can gaurantee you that it was placed in XJ's in late 1986 (1987 models). :rolleyes:
Yeah, but these are Jeeps that we're talking about :lol: :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
BostonWrangler said:

Yeah, but these are Jeeps that we're talking about :lol: :)
WTF are you talking about? If you're naive enough to believe that your Wrangler can outwheel a Cherokee, I suppose you've got plenty of XJ's up your way that will show you the difference.

Wrangler doesn't have the wheelbase advantage that the 104" WB Cherokee does. I've seen a stock XJ walk up places that stopped a slightly modified TJ....and it was all wheelbase.

If you added a locking device to both vehicles, the equation really wouldn't change much. It would give the Wrangler a little more help, but the Cherokee wouldn't falter.

If you're bold enough to foul-mouth the XJ....I love what you had to say about the Liberty... Cause I'd fully concur with your dislike of that IFS POS. :flipoff2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts