Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am aquiring a dodge np435/203.

im hoping to run a d300 on the back of the 435 until i can faquire/fab the parts to put a 205 on back of the 203 range box.

question is simply,does the 203 have the same round NP mounting pattern as the 205 does behind the 435? if so the d300 shuold slide righ on.

if not,what pattern is it?

did a search and found lots of info on spline counts,but nothing on the mouting pattern.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Nope, the 203 does not use the standard round bolt pattern, it uses a unique, odd shaped pattern. If you can find the adapter for a 208 transfercase adapter, it's the same as the 205 round adapter.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
find the 208 adapter and the tailshaft out of that trans. the 208 adapter is longer than the one for the 203 making the tailshaft too short for proper spline engagement. i use to run that exact combo in my heep. i just used the 435 and 208 adapter that came with it. ;)

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanx for the info,fellas.

fullsize,what combo did you run? 435/208 or
435/d300?

i talked to another guy that says that hes had several military dodges that have had the round NP pattern 203 in post 78 rigs. he said that the 78 and older used the same pattern as the gm 203s,but he was unsure if military and civilian vehicles had differences. any comments on that bit of info?

at any rate,the main point is to get a manual tranny i can do a doubler with,so if running the d300 is more complex than drilling some new holes in the adapter,ill prolly wait untill ive got the doubler complete and then install the whole package at once. :)

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
do the doubler.

i ran a dodge 435 with the 300. very good combo. whats it goin in? i ran mine in my jeep. if its not a fullsize, then the 300 would be a good deal, but personally if you have the 435 with a 203 behind it, go with the doubler. just my .02

i've never seen a round bolt pattern 203. must have been a different t-case.;)

:beer:

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
its going into a full size grand wagoneer.

the d300 would be a temporary solution to the transfer case/pto prollems im currently having,so if it would work id go ahead and install the tranny. if the PITA factor is too high,ill prolly end up running a d20 until i can get the doubler ready.

im currently running a t18/spicer 18 and breaking the transfer case has become enuff of a prollem i need an upgrade.

im running the 18 cause i need a pto with a rear facing output to drive my bed mounted winch.

i have a d20 pto,but its output only faces forward :mad: im happy withthe t18 tranny(has taken abuse very well :) ) but attaching a 203 box to it is gonna be alittle tougher,and t18 ptos apparently are alittle harder to come by.

a friend has a 435 pto(tho i still need tocheck it out) so running the 435/d300 with his pto for a year or so would be a good solution to my prollem. the pto of course would remain in place after the doubler is swapped.

do ya think i could drill 5 of the 6 d300 mounting holes into the 203 adapter?

i havent seen it yet,its still in NJ :)

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
saprobe said:
its going into a full size grand wagoneer.

the d300 would be a temporary solution to the transfer case/pto prollems im currently having,so if it would work id go ahead and install the tranny. if the PITA factor is too high,ill prolly end up running a d20 until i can get the doubler ready.

im currently running a t18/spicer 18 and breaking the transfer case has become enuff of a prollem i need an upgrade.

im running the 18 cause i need a pto with a rear facing output to drive my bed mounted winch.

i have a d20 pto,but its output only faces forward :mad: im happy withthe t18 tranny(has taken abuse very well :) ) but attaching a 203 box to it is gonna be alittle tougher,and t18 ptos apparently are alittle harder to come by.

a friend has a 435 pto(tho i still need tocheck it out) so running the 435/d300 with his pto for a year or so would be a good solution to my prollem. the pto of course would remain in place after the doubler is swapped.

do ya think i could drill 5 of the 6 d300 mounting holes into the 203 adapter?

i havent seen it yet,its still in NJ :)
AA np435/d300 adapter for ford 435's fits dodges... or at least the dodges that i have seen it bolted to.

Garrett

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hick said:

AA np435/d300 adapter for ford 435's fits dodges... or at least the dodges that i have seen it bolted to.

Garrett
ya,i know that the adapter exists. i dont really care that much about the d300,tho. i was going to use it if it would work cause it would be alittle better than the d20,and i happen have one laying around.

if i wanted to use the d300 badly enuff to spend $400+ on an adapter id prolly just get it for my t18 :)

ill just get hoppin on the doubler and run a d20 in the meantime...

thanx again for the responses

1 - 9 of 9 Posts