Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an EB with an NP435 (ford 2wd I think) in it. It did not shift into 4th right so I pulled it apart and the 3rd-4th synchro assembly was broken. I replaced it and now am ready to put the tranny back in, but the input shaft has quite a bit of play in-and-out. Does anyone have a diagram of the tranny that is detailed enough I can see what I might be missing. There is no telling what else went with the original synchro. I am guessing that I am missing a thrust washer or something but don't have a 'good' tranny to compare to. Thanks.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Ford spec .007 to .017 end play for the input shaft on the 435. You can add or remove gaskets under the front bearing retainer to get it right.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well there is definitely more than that. Could I be missing #17, 18, or 19? :confused:
Adding or removing the #2 gasket? I think I would need about .100" to get it tight. That would be about what..........5 gaskets?

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
remember that the output shaft has to be retained to set end play if you don't have adapter bolted on back it will allow out put shaft to move and give you all kinds of end play

·
Registered
470 Posts
#19 would be suspect it's a thin thrust bearing about the size you are looking for. You can hold the output in by hand to check the play but it would be easier to have the adapter bolted on. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WildHorses said:
#19 would be suspect it's a thin thrust bearing about the size you are looking for. You can hold the output in by hand to check the play but it would be easier to have the adapter bolted on. Good luck.

BINGO! I just got back from picking one up when I saw this. Made me feel better about my decision. The bearing was not even in there and must have went boom with the synchro assembly. Thanks for the help and when I get it put in, I will update you all.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Which one is the 2nd gear synchro? Is it number #30? I know #28 is 2nd gear.
It still will not downshift into second without grinding terribly? :mad3: Is there anything it could be other than the 2nd gear synchro? (You know, before I pull it out again :rolleyes: ).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts