Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search, and couldn't find much information. What would I need to do this? As I undertand, the main conflict would be that the resulting rear driveshaft would be too short right? How far back would the rear axle need to be moved back? Would reversing the springs, and moving the rear hangars back a few inches be enough? Thanks.

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
It depends on whether you have a v8 or not. The NP203 doubler adds about 11" to yout stock drivetrain. Most of the time that makes your rear driveshat way to short. With a v8 moved all the way forwards you have a much better chance of fitting the 203 in.
I have moved the rear axle back about as much as possible and still cannot deal with a driveshaft less than ~18".
I know you can do it on a 40 but you will have to reverse your springs and do a V8 conversion.

·
Old Rock Doc
1,782 Posts
This is an option. The rear drive shaft is very short but it can work. AA makes the adapters. Dan Lintz on this board has run such a doubler for several years with no problems. Go to the tech section on page one of the Pirate site and see Dan's write up.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
The 203 transfer case is one of the the biggest and heaviest mofo's out there. It is longer than the King of transfer cases the 205. What you may be refering to is the use of the 203 reduction box between the tranny and tcase to provide an extra low range (double low). Check the Tech section of this BB for Dan Lintz's article on using the 203 reduction box, or visit offroaddesign.com for their application.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts