Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i have a nasty moise in my 205. i pulled the tcase out and swapped some gears in the rear output side. reinstalled it and still rattled.....bad. pulled the front output while it was still in the truck thinking it may have been the issue when i noticed how sloppy the idler gears were. i pulled the case to swap out gears and when i had it on the ground after reading some responces on here I noticed the idler nut came off with out much trouble. so i reinstalled the nut and tightened it. the freeplay went away. It had .040 before tightening the nut. It had 0 after. So against better judgement i put it back together and reinstalled it without digging further. The fawking rattle is still there. It sounds like the gears are wanting to grenade. Tomorrow i will totally disassemble the case and see if i can find the issue. It is so noisy I cant believe it is this difficult to find the issue.

·
Premium Member
7,112 Posts
Take the idler gear out and look at the bearings, then clean the oil passages in the idler shaft. I set the preload in a press around .006, with the nut tight and the bearings dry it should be the same.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
there is 3 sets of loose rollers, 2 thoringtons, 2-3 large roller and the 2 tapered bearings for the idler. you only got to half of them.
I had the main shaft and all the bearings out the first time I took it out sunday. The only issue I found was a very badly worn shift fork, I replaced it. Put it back in and had same noise. Pulled front output and inspected all parts, it looked ok. That's when I noticed the play in the idler. But that's where I messed up and didn't pull it the rest of the way down and just tightened them. It will be taken apart tonight and each piece inspected.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Found the problem. It had spit the shims in the idler gear. Also the oil passage in the shaft was plugged. Got the parts replaced and set at .008 @ 150lbs torque. It is quiet now. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
there is 3 sets of loose rollers, 2 thoringtons, 2-3 large roller and the 2 tapered bearings for the idler. you only got to half of them.
ummm.... maybe youre thinking of a 203... a 205 has a tube, 3 or 4 shims, and two tapered roller bearings on the idler. no more.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hey poorboy, I have a similar problem. Glad to hear yours is fixed but let me ask was the noise constant. Mine is only when the truck is rolling but not under load, [accelerating then backing out of the throttle]

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The noise came back tonight:mad3::mad3::mad3:

The noise starts at about 2000rpms in hi-hi gear. Low gear wont do it. It vibrates bad and has a nasty rattle. I'm about to pitch this fawking 205.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was thinking thats what ya ment.

At this point I think I will just have to put a new case in it and worry about the old one after TTC. Who sells new complete cases?

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
This is beginning to get rediculus.:mad3:

So here is the update.

I go to a buddys house friday after work to borrow his 205 before buying a new one. We pull it out of his truck and I haul it home. I decided not to put my 32spline out in it until I test it. This way it is as he ran it. I install it and a freind I have helping me stripped a bolt in my NWF adapter:eek: So this morning I go buy a heli coil kit and repair my adapter. Ok good as new. Reinstall my buddys 205 and install the rear shaft only. Fire it up and it rattles just like mine. I have a homemade rear driveline so I swapped in my stock spare DL just to be sure. Still rattles.

So its not the 205 it safe to say. Now I am not sure where to go. I pulled the 14bolt pinion just to check it out since those gears were new. I find the pinion support bearing has worked its way out of the housing and toward the ring gear:eek: The vibration was so bad it was fuking up the axle (i think). So I tap the bearing back in and peen the housing around it just to be sure. Pinion spun smooth.

I ran the rig again and still vibrates. So my other buddy has a fresh rebuilt th400 and tcase for sale. I bought it and installed the new trans and different 203 range box. The old trans tail shaft had ALOT of play. The new trans was tight. I thought for sure this was it. Put my 205 back in and fire it off. FUCK it still rattles. I disengage rear shaft and run on the front only, It rattles. Disengage the front shaft and run on the rear, It rattles. I'm not talking a little rattle I am talking a death gear rattle.

The only part I have not swapped out now is the bearing in the adapter. Guess what? Tomorrow I will pull the 205 again and the adapter and then try to find a replacement bearing. If that doesnt do it then I am out of ideas.

So things I have found wrong.

1. Idler shims spit from idler gear in 205
2. rear pinion support bearing walking out of housing
3. Very sloppy tail shaft in tranny
4. worn shift fork in 205

All have been repaired/replaced. If any good news is to come from this is the new 203 shifts like a dream:D

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
any updates to this? my 231/205 doubler rattles bad on decel....I am thinking it might be the output bearing? I ran a bent to shit rear DS, so it might have completely worn it out....
hope it held together for the TTC...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts