Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My transfer case crapped out on me the other day...I heard very loud rattling and snapping. I took it down and tore it apart and this is what I found. This is a np205 off my CTD.

Rear of front output. That dowel pin looking piece is the shifter pin I believe.

So...do I need a new housing? I don't see how that broke, but there were small pieces of cast iron in the housing. No broken gears, no broken bearings. I guess the sound I heard was that piece of metal riding and binding in the gears? I'm not sure what I should do, what do you guys think?

Chris

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Are you sure that is what was making the noise? Looks like that has been broken or missing for a while? Did you find the peice? Have you been into it before? Everything is the same color. Do the gears look like they ate a big piece like that. Unlikely, Sounds like breakfast for those gears. ?? My opinion.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, I'm not sure that is what is making the noise. I have no idea what is making the noise, thats my problem. Something is definitely wrong with the t-case, I just can't figure out what. There is a very loud rattling sound when the trans is in any gear, and an erratic loud pop. The front drive shaft moves when the t-case pops. Other than that the t-case works perfectly and shifts fine.

There was a small piece of cast iron in the front output when I pulled it. The piece was not nearly as large as the chunk taken out of the housing however. I'm thinking maybe that chunk of iron was getting chewed up by the front output?

Right now I have the front and rear output pulled, I still have to pull the input and the center shaft (countershaft?). I'm going to pull everything and see what else I can find, but so far no broken gears and all the bearings seem to be ok.

Will that chunk taken out in the picture I posted do any harm if run like that? The cover should still make a seal, what do you think?

Chris

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
To late, but if you pulled your drive lines and ran it you probably could have pinned it down, If it was rattleing and poping like you said, you will find something marked or chewed up in there. If not I bet it is in the trans or?

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ran the trans after I took the t-case out and it didn't make the noise. I'll finish pulling the all the gears and see what I can find.

Thanks for the help,
Chris

·
Vendor
2,380 Posts
As MJ Said, that is a casting mark. When you find the problem, let me know we keep loads of 205 parts and rebuild kits in stock, or if you have any questions or need tips on install or disassembly of the case give us a ring.

-Kyle
NWF

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
are you sure the front output slider isn't trying to engage ?

I know it will make a slight rattling sounds if it is allowed to grind against the teeth, and the pop may be it getting just enough bite to turn the d/s, then disengage.

I'd check the detent balls and pin on the shift fork to make sure they are in the correct place

I wouldn't worry about the casting flaw...actually, it appears it may have been made that way intentionally to allow the gears to sling oil up onto that selector shaft

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As far as I know this transfer case has never been out of this truck before. I've had the truck for a year and a half and I have never pulled it. I have used 4H and 4L many many times. I would think if something was installed incorrectly it would have showed up before now?

I got everything apart and all the bearings are intact and tight. I cleaned out the case, tomorrow I'm getting seals and putting it back together. There was quite a bit of metal on the magnet and that one chunk of iron.

A few people have told me that np205s sometimes try to shift themselves into 4wd like you guys were talking about, but it made that noise in all the t-case gears, i.e. 2h 4h 4l.

All I know to do is clean it out, put new seals, and put it back together.

Thanks for everyones help.
Chris

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
if it was making it in all gears, it could be the roller bearings.

if you are putting it back together, you should use new bearings & rollers

it still could be the shift fork for the front output, if the pin that locks it to the shift shaft is missing or broken off, it could allow the shift fork to move in any gear, and when that happens, the slider would be trying to engage the gears and give you the noise and the popping d/s

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Your talking about the pins holding the shift forks to the shift rails right? I pulled both pins and they were not broken and where in all the way.

Would I know the roller bearings where bad by looking at them, and spinning them? I've played with all the bearings and none of them seem to be bad at all, they all spin freely and are pretty tight.

One more thing... This is the first time I've been inside a np205. Are the two bearings on the middle shaft supposed to be pressed in? When I pulled the middle shaft the bearings just fell out, along with some shims...is that normal?

Chris

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
thats normal. DONT LOSE THE SHIMS
those shims provide the preload for the bearings. you have to be careful when you reassemble the case to make sure the shims go back between the bearings and the inner tube in the idler gear. With the wrong amount of preload, it will kill the bearings.

ideally, if you put the shims, tube, and bearings in a press assembled inside the idler gear, you should have about .008 end play on the idler, max.

if you have more than .015 side clearance with your shift fork in the range slider, or the teeth show any wear, replace the offending item.

84 to 89 205s were available with a synchro'd low range slider. wierd, but hey, it was better than slamming the thing together. it allows shift on the fly. Hard as hell to find, though.

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
I may just have one of those synchro'd 205's (haven't cracked the case open yet to see, but the year/app is the right range). When I was buying my doubler setup, I was told that the sychro'd 205 was a shitty design and didn't work all that well. I was also told that I'd be better off shit-canning the synchro stuff, which would have happened anyway, since I also bought a Ford 205 for it's shorty input gear and 32-spline front shaft.

·
Vendor
1,609 Posts
I'll bet its your rear axle! Have you checked that yet. Sometimes a rear end going out will transfer the noise through the driveline into the tcase and trans. Spider gears, bearing, just pull the cover and look.

Those 205s are close to indistructable. I doubt its your t-case!

·
Registered
905 Posts
The front drive shaft moves when the t-case pops.
I'll bet its your rear axle! Have you checked that yet. Sometimes a rear end going out will transfer the noise through the driveline into the tcase and trans. Spider gears, bearing, just pull the cover and look.

Those 205s are close to indistructable. I doubt its your t-case!
First, dumb question, but are you absolutely sure its not just moving all the time? the viscosity of the gear oil tends to carry over to the front driveline and makes it rotate.

I know some rear axles have a common problem of popping (8.8 comes to mind) due to the pinion nut backing off...

But if the d-shaft does jerk or rotate a little when whatever it is pops, I would think it is the T-case still.

Did it do it all the time randomly, or just on turns, or etc? My friends 8.8" mainly popped on turns and under hard acceleration.

How about a pic of that chunk (if you still have it)?

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I rebuilt it about a month ago and its fine now. I replaced all the bearings and seals and painted it "fawesome blue" :flipoff2:

It was just warn out from being ragged on and run without oil for a while :emb:

Chris

1 - 20 of 26 Posts