Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The rear output on my NP205 case uses a 1310 U-joint. Does the 1310 CV version have a different style yoke than the "regular" 1310 version? Can I just get a 1310 CV driveshaft and use that with my current yoke... or do I need the flange style? Here's a picture of what I have...

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I think it will use a mounting flange, you will have to remove the yoke.

check this set up out, for a diff application, but similar.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
or you can get a CV yoke....Jesse at High Angle got my CV yoke for my Dana 20 for me , no flange necessary. I'm sure he can get one for your 205

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that I confused "CV" with "double cardan."

It's true that a CV rear driveshaft can be used on my NP205 -- but I'll probably need a flange-style output, like several people suggested.

I think what I want to know is if I can run a double cardan joint on my current yoke. Quoting Spicer, their double cardan joints would offer "near-constant velocity" performance -- so it won't be a full CV.

What about XJ front driveshafts -- are those CV or double cardan? I was going to use that as my driveshaft, but I'm not sure if it'll attach to the yoke I have.

In essence, this is what (I think) I am able to run with my current yoke:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Currie and Rubicon express are the most common double-cardan shafts that use a drive flange....most others use a yoke.
You could probably do a little machining and make a u-bolt type yoke work on a CV (excuse me...double cardan) shaft.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got a cv yoke from the front out put of a NP-229 T-case from a 84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer you have to change the rear seal to a smaller one. I also used the front cv shaft from the waggy once I shortend it 4 inches.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
iroc86 said:
I think what I want to know is if I can run a double cardan joint on my current yoke.

In essence, this is what (I think) I am able to run with my current yoke:
[/IMG]
No. The spacing between the holes is different.

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
iroc86 said:
The rear output on my NP205 case uses a 1310 U-joint. Does the 1310 CV version have a different style yoke than the "regular" 1310 version? Can I just get a 1310 CV driveshaft and use that with my current yoke... or do I need the flange style? Here's a picture of what I have...

What version of NP205 are you running that uses a 1310 rear output? I was under the impression that all 205's came with 1350 rear outputs.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
my rear output is 1310.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
dunno:confused: :flipoff2:

EDIT: hoooooo shittay....i made granite guru with that one....:flipoff2:

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The case is from some sort of Chevy truck. It's mated to the SM465 four-speed transmission. The date stamping is from 1979.

The front output is a flange, but the rear is the yoke (as you can see in the picture).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts