Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well now that I have the cruiser done and out on the rocks I have noticed that it's a BITCH to get that sucker out of low range.

I had noticed that the front output seal was leaking, so I went to replace it and noticed that the whole front yoke was loose (this whole damn truck was a cluster-f like this. I don't think there was a tight bolt on the damn thing when I took possession of it. Anyway, after tightening it, I have noticed that this problem got way worse. To the point now that when it low range at a complete stop it will NOT come out of low. If I creep it forward, throw the tranny in neutral and pull on the lever it will eventually come out of low, but not before putting up a massive fight.

This isn't normal is it? This is the first 205 I have run, so I really don't know too much about em. And I don't know anyone running one that I can compare too.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
SOMEtimes i have to back up to get mine outta low.... but not all the time..... i guess it kinda depends on if there is a bind on it or not....it's not as nice as the new tcases but it may just be me havein got use to it

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
mine's a bitch, but no worse than a D300 or Atlas. Did you pull the interlock pins out and twin-stick it, or is it single stick?? I have only run mine twin-sticked with no pins. That would make it alot easier to shift. When mine binds, i just pump the clutch and it pops right out...

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK well sounds like mine is pretty similar to what everyone else is experiencing. Whew, I thought maybe it was something wrong with the t-case but not now. If I reverse it, it comes out. And if I pump the clutch it will pop out.

I've been thinking about twin sticking it, maybe this will push that up on the to-do list.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Every 205 I've ever had has been that way to a greater or lesser degree. My 75 K5 was at times almost impossible, taking 10-15 minutes of rolling back and forth while making up entire dictionaries of new curses... Never found a fix, though a fresh 205 with proper clearances will generally be the easiest.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
my 205 puts up a fight on the front stick sometimes, but the rear is always easy...

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
shift "on-the-fly"

I found the best thing to do is to shift "on-the-fly" out of 4wd.

When I get up to a speed that 4lo is too low for I put the tranny in N, shift into 4hi, and put it back in D.

If I am coming up to the end of a trail (pavement) I do the same thing but into 2wd.

I have tried all the backing up and other sh!t and none of it worked. The lever was bending:eek: ...I'm glad I didn't brake that special bolt that holds the shifter!

The only other sugestion I have heard is to twin stick it. That way you are only shifting 1/2 of the t-case at a time.

·
Old Rock Doc
1,779 Posts
If you decide to convert to twin stick, don't remove the interlock pins like Elf -- bad idea. Modify the shift rail by elongating the indents so that it allows shifting of the rear to neutral only while the front is in low.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts