Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 86 gmc 1ton's transfer case front output shaft is leaking and has a lot of play in it-any help with this would be appreciated- bearing, seal, shim? do i have to take it apart? 4wd still works, but i keep losing ujoints due to the play

thanks

josh

·
Registered
165 Posts
Pull off the yoke. Take out the four bearing retainer bolts, remove bearing retainer. Look at front output bearing and feel for excessive play. Look at front output shaft, note any excessive wear on shaft. Most likely all you will need to do is replace the bearing (one circle clip holds it in place), new bearing retainer gasket, new seal, and a little silicone on the yoke splines and tighten the nut. Replace front D-shaft and go wheelin.
Michael.

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Sometimes the yolk develops a groove in it over time from the lip of the seal, this causes the seal not to do what it supposed to.
Best way to fix it is get a new yolk and seal. You can try to put a new seal in, just position it so the lip doesn't ride over the groove on the yolk. I've done that before, worked good for awhile. Or if you have welding and machining skills, you can fill in the groove with a bead, then machine it to the correct diameter. To me, its easier just to get a new yolk!:skull:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
You might be able to find a "repair sleve" for the yoke too.

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
The repair sleeve would be sweet, good idea! I know they make them in several diameters, might be able to take your yolk to Napa or the machine shop and see what they have.:skull:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts