Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to swap an np231 front shaft to a np233c case and I am not sure where to start looking in the junk yard for what np231 case I can cross over the shaft from. I know I need to measure my chain in the np233c to see if I have a 1” or a 1 1/4” chain. Did they make 1” chains for the np231? Has anyone swapped this here? I can buy the np231 shaft and yoke from http://www.jbconversions.com for $125.00 shaft, and $60.00 for the yoke. I am just looking to save money and I have access to a junk yard.

·
Registered
32 Posts
What are you asking?

Do you want to put a yoke from an NP231 on the front output of your NP233? Look for an NP231 from an S-10 prior to 1994. It should have the 1.25" chain, even if it doesn't have HD stamped on the tag.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are you asking?

Do you want to put a yoke from an NP231 on the front output of your NP233? Look for an NP231 from an S-10 prior to 1994. It should have the 1.25" chain, even if it doesn't have HD stamped on the tag.
Thanks, and yes thats what I was looking for, the shaft and yoke. I have heard that some Jeeps ran the np231 case's and I wasn't sure if I can use that shaft or not. I still need to find out what size chain my np233c is unless some one here knows for sure (Iam not at that point of opening the case yet and I am gathering parts right now). I hear that the np233c came in 1" and 1.25", which the np231's only came in a 1.25".

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks, and yes thats what I was looking for, the shaft and yoke. I have heard that some Jeeps ran the np231 case's and I wasn't sure if I can use that shaft or not. I still need to find out what size chain my np233c is unless some one here knows for sure (Iam not at that point of opening the case yet and I am gathering parts right now). I hear that the np233c came in 1" and 1.25", which the np231's only came in a 1.25".

I'm not positive. I was under the impression that all 233's had the larger chain, but can't confirm it anywhere.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not positive. I was under the impression that all 233's had the larger chain, but can't confirm it anywhere.
I was under the impression that the all 231's where 1.25" chains, and that the 233c where 1" until I was asked if I had 1' or 1.25" chain. I have Off Road Enterprises in Stockton looking into it now. What they have told me is that mine has the 1.25" chain and the 231's they looked up have the 1" chains. After all this headach I might as well just crack the tc open, see what chain I have and then order the shaft from http://www.jbconversions.com for $125.00.

I am supprised that one one has done this or maybe I should have posted this in the chevy section, although these tc are found in serveral different vehicles.

·
Registered
91 Posts
233 had the 1.25 inch chain till 98. after that its the 1" chain. The swap is as easy as pulling it apart and putting it back together. if your blazer is the 2000 in your sig get a output shaft from a 231j which is the wrangler 231.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
233 had the 1.25 inch chain till 98. after that its the 1" chain. The swap is as easy as pulling it apart and putting it back together. if your blazer is the 2000 in your sig get a output shaft from a 231j which is the wrangler 231.
Thanks for the help now I know what to look for. :smokin:

·
Registered
91 Posts
no problem. The shaft is like 300 if you try to just buy it. go to the JY and get a wrecked case. That will be the cheapest option. also grab the yolk from the case, or any cherokee yolk pre 01 will work also.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yep, any Jeep 231J output shaft will work. 233C's used the 1.25" chain up to 97. 98 and up will have the smaller 1" chain.

Sirg2424, Haven't I discussed this with you before?? :flipoff2:

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, any Jeep 231J output shaft will work. 233C's used the 1.25" chain up to 97. 98 and up will have the smaller 1" chain.

Sirg2424, Haven't I discussed this with you before?? :flipoff2:
I can't remember :confused: Besides I am hearing both sides for the chain. I talked to Off Road Enterprises in Stockton and they said mine has the 1.25 but when I talked to JB conversions they said I can have either 1 or 1.25, I am so confused :shaking: I know the simple thing is just crack the tc open and check, but I am not starting the build until this weekend, and I am trying to pick up the last few piece's I need before this weekend to save time.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Wrekd96 your right I went back through my emails and found a link you sent me. Damn old age is catching up to me or its the wife and kids causing my memory loss. :D

Link to NP233 fixed front output modification.
http://outsideventure.com/Projects/tcase_mod/

I think after I do mine I will write up a "How To" for the tech section here for Pirate for anyone looking to do this conversion.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah I hear ya on the memory loss. I cant remember shit anymore and Im only 25. I blame it on all the booze :laughing:

Anyways, yours being a 2000, it will definitely have the 1" chain. Trust me on this, I've done ALOT of research on this swap when I 1st did my SAS.

If you're doing a write up on this and need some more info let me know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts