Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
The input shafts could be different. There are 23 spline long, short and a medium I think from grand cherokees. Then there are 21 spline inputs as well, usually from 4 cyl vehicles.

·
Registered
350 Posts
like the man says; what's the application? Biggest is just 21 spline for 4cyls, and pre-91' 4.0's and 23 spline for others. Not sure about 231HD or real new applications though.

Jay

·
Registered
277 Posts
Not to sure, but I took one from a 88' auto 4.0L and put it in my 89' many 4.0L. Not to sure if that helps you out any but it worked for me. Both 23 spline

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think all 231 are 23 spline unless they are behind a Peugeot in 88' and 89'. 21 spline behind an Ax-5. But there may be a difference in long and short input shafts. I think one is flush and one protrudes out like 1/2". I think

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well my 92 xj 231 transfer messed up and i found a 94 yj with 231 so are they interchangable? the yj was manuel if it matters?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Depends on what tranny the YJ TC was connected to. AX5 or AX15? What tranny is in your XJ? Look at the chart on Novak's site to see what interchanges.

·
Dabbler
2,161 Posts
Even if teh input shaft are different-you can easily swap out the shafts in about 30 minutes from 21 to 23. Also-the vacuum lines are slightly different-I put a TCASE from a cherokee ( I think it had an extra C after the NP231 stamp) and the vacuum modlue was father to the rear-but the lines strectched. So-as long as you input shaft is still good-you can just change teh shafts out.

·
Registered
77 Posts
drbowser3 said:
I think all 231 are 23 spline unless they are behind a Peugeot in 88' and 89'. 21 spline behind an Ax-5. But there may be a difference in long and short input shafts. I think one is flush and one protrudes out like 1/2". I think

CORRECT 21 spine for the BA 10/5 on the 88 and 89. Man. or auto all the same

1 - 11 of 11 Posts