Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm spending my $$$ on a new front axle so for the moment I'm doing a low budget NP231 SYE instead of an Atlas. I machined the case and got a Currie companion flange. Thats all done. My question is.....I want to hack a front driveshaft and lengthen the body and use it on the rear. I have everything except the part that adapts the companion flange to the dual cardan joint. Anybody ever done that and have a part number? Spicer's catalogs are a bit confusing on what will work with what. The hole pattern on the companion flange is 4 on 3.5" bolt circle.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may end up going that way, but I was hoping for the flange that is built like the front yoke, so I don't have to tear down the dual cardan units. It should also be cheaper.

·
Registered
132 Posts
What type SYE do you have? JB and AA SYE's have an actual "yoke" on the rear. Do I read right? Your putting a front driveshaft on the rear? That thing's only 1-1/4" diam. We have a 2" Tom Wood front shaft on ours, that wouldn't be strong enough to make a rear. I'm confused, good luck! Terry

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm running a front DS from a Bronco. It turns out the one I got is exactly the same diameter as the XJ rear shaft.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I am not sure but I would check with Ford. I thought they made a flange style CV drive shaft that has the piece you need.

I would call John at JB Conversions and ask him.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This has been done for a while now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was told that the companion flange on the back of the '80s broncos is the 32 spline size that matches the larger/shorter output shaft used on JB conversions SYE kit. I have the flange and the SYE somewhere. I will try and remember to size them up and let you know.

I do know that the flange doesn't work on the 32 spline Np231/241 output on the dodge t-cases. The splines don't match up or the pitch is different.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts