Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know anything about a widechain gear conversion or something like that for the 231 t-case? I've heard it mentioned before, but I can't find any info on it or even who makes it. Anyone know anything bout it?

·
Registered
417 Posts
If I remember correctly it was a standard thing in some of the heavier Dodge trucks or the such. It is a simple matter of buying the parts from the normal channels and installing. Personally I haven't found the chain to be the "weakest link" in the NP231. When I checked into it, the cost of parts was something like $250. For that I can buy a shitpot of cases at the local pay-n-pull. The other mod I have heard of around here entails replacing the planetary gear with one from another one of the NP series, again if I remember correctly a NP242. The difference is that it has twice the number of intermediate planetary gears and therefore suposedly stronger.

Some one else on here should have the details, but fore the most part, I think you can spend your money on better things unless you are turning out a lot of torque, and then you shouldn't be running an NP231 anyway. Slagburn knows the particulars on this one.

·
Registered
29,224 Posts
Only place that I could find that has it is Tellico 4x4, but I'm sure SteveN could hook you up. Iwas told it is made by JB Conversions, but I could never find it on their page.

http://www.tellico4x4.com/xfer/np231.htm

I was looking in to it since I blew up my chain, but it's rather expensive at $250, when a stock chain was around $90. I couldn't find any information on the amount of torque it could handle either. The wide chain kit also the sprockets to hold the chain, of course.

Here's a comparison pic:

Taken from here.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Get an S-10 NP231C, it already has the wider chain. Did this in my YJ with 700R4, and no adapters. The chain and gears will fit in the Jeep 231, no problems.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Gary E said:
what tools would I need to take one out at the pnp?
To take what out????
The whole case, just basic hand tools.
The chain and sprockets seperately are another deal. Snap ring pliers, a large socket for the front output yoke nut, puller for the front yoke.

·
Registered
23 Posts
NP231J-HD

I have most of the parts ready to get this conversion done.

So far here's what I've got:

HD 6 pinion planetary: $200
HD Wide Chain kit: $199
HD Wide Synchro Cone: $125
HD Output shaft & AA SYE kit: $265

These parts installed with the TeraLo 4:1 conversion will give you the same setup as the NV241OR in the Rubicons. You'll also have spent nearly enough for an AtlasII.

The factory 231 will handle about 1750 ft/lbs. The HD NVG made 231 will handle about 1900 ft/lbs. This info is on NVG's website.

If you replace the pinion with the HD 6 pinion one, you'll more than triple the strength to about 5700 ft/lbs. This info is straight from the mouth of an engineer from JB Conversions.

Things to consider before doing this:
Tera 2lo kit WILL NOT WORK WITH THIS SETUP.
TeraLo (4:1 conversion) WILL WORK WITH THIS SETUP.

·
Registered
175 Posts
JB Conversions chain kit

We are about to update the web site and include the chain kit photo. We do have the chain kit available.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
not sure where in VA you are but i have a np231c (s-10 unit) $100

i was gonna run the 231 behind my 700r4 like bluejeep but now am going with passanger drop jumk w/ a 300

i dont want to bother with shipping it so i just posted on a local board im moving it to the shed this weekend...

im just north of raleigh... email if interested... -mike

·
11,310 Posts
Just an FYI, I was going to do the same conversion on my 231, but jumped out of the boat when pricing everything together. I got teh 4:1 kit, and teh tera 2 Low fork setup, and was replacing the chain at the same time.

I searched info on the board, and someone here said he is running the 231 with the wider chain, without having to replace other stuff. I test fitted one, and it seems it could work, just sticks a bit on teh sides, but your call. I decided to just use a stock chain instead or dumpng another $300 on upgrading my 231 further :)

Here is a link about the guy who is rnning one:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=156357

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
Also you can skip most of that crap and run a ZJ 231

·
Registered
17,625 Posts
Yup, if you are gonna do it.. grab the 231 from a dodge, and pull it apart and use the internals in your 231.. Id do that if I could get a dodge case for near free.. otherwise, in my opinion, its not worth dumping the money into.
Scott

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
BlueJeep said:
Get an S-10 NP231C, it already has the wider chain. Did this in my YJ with 700R4, and no adapters. The chain and gears will fit in the Jeep 231, no problems.
Ditto. Thats what i have.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Is there an front output yoke that will fit the NP 231 with
"U-Bolts" instead of straps and who has it?
I've heard that a Dana 44 yoke is the same as the Dana 30's. These are the only "weak links" left on our YJ. Thanks Terry

·
Registered
135 Posts
231 upgrade

I did the upgrade on my 231 when I installed the AA HD Sye. it was an easy swap considering I had the S-10 gears given to me. the upgrade makes the Chain and sprokets an extra 1/4 to 1/2 inch wider. I found the chain to be much tighter and smoother once reinstalled. Haven't had any issues since.

As for the front output yolk, you should be able to fit the ubolt straps in there. I did and had no problems. if your questioning the fit, remove the yolk, and drill through the holes to widen them and make sure it'll fit. put the yolk back in then bolt in the Ubolt Straps.

just my 2 cents. :flipoff2: :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts