Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rebuilt my 2004 NP246 with all new bearings and seals due to a bad rear main bearing. After it is reassembled, I can't manually shift it into 4wd using pliers on the star gear. It won't go all the way to 4hi or 4lo, but shifts 2hi and neutral just fine. It seems like something is preventing the mode fork from pushing the clutches in all the way. I didn't replace the clutches, but took them all out and reinstalled them after replacing the clutch bearing.

So my question is. When you put the clutches back in, right behind the snap ring, there is a round piece (that goes inside of the bearing) that has about a 1" x 1" tab that sticks out. What is this tab for? And what direction does it go in? Right now I reassembled it with the tab facing opposite the direction of the mode fork. But I can't figure out what that piece sticking out does. It's the only part of the tc that I was unsure about. BTW it shifts fine before the rear cover is fully seated. And the rear bearing snapring is seated properly too.

Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Its back together and running great.
Even though the shifter never stayed in 4hi or 4lo (it would spring back to 2hi or n) when turning it manually, once i put the encoder motor on it shifts like it should and stays in 4wd.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts