Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
It would be easy as opening up the glove box shifting gears then closing the glove box. Nice and stealth like!!
I have the same full center console in my '03 Silverado and I'm getting ready to do the SAS this was one of the few dilemas I have left. With your cable shifter do you plan on running 2 cables? Otherwise how do you plan on getting it to shift back?

·
Registered
434 Posts
A guy on another forum i'm on installed a factory floor shifter with his console. He put it in a vise and put two 90* bends in the shaft to move it over the tiny bit it needs to clear. He cut the factory shifter cover plastic piece to make it fit, but didn't have to cut the console. here's his:

i'm planning on doing the same. the inside edge of the slot that the shifter moves in is just outside where the console ends. so a little bending to make the knob clear and i'll be golden. my current clusterfuck:

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
I have the same full center console in my '03 Silverado and I'm getting ready to do the SAS this was one of the few dilemas I have left. With your cable shifter do you plan on running 2 cables? Otherwise how do you plan on getting it to shift back?
It's a single cable shifter. But it's a heavy duty push pull cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while ignoring traffic.

·
Registered
216 Posts
What I did in my tahoe was pulled the carpet back (only had to remove center counsel) far enough to get in with a cutoff wheel. The floor comes from the factory has an indent stamped in the shape of the floor shifter. I used the seal/gasket from the floor shifter assembly as a template for where to cut/drill. After the assembly was installed, I removed the lever and put the carpet/center counsel back in place. Then I took a utility knife and cut a small groove/slit through the carpet for the lever. The factory lever barely cleared the counsel without the handle on, so a slight bend to the lever was needed. It turned out looking good enough that the plastic cover wasn't needed. I can take some pics later if interested.

·
Registered
466 Posts
What I did in my tahoe was pulled the carpet back (only had to remove center counsel) far enough to get in with a cutoff wheel. The floor comes from the factory has an indent stamped in the shape of the floor shifter. I used the seal/gasket from the floor shifter assembly as a template for where to cut/drill. After the assembly was installed, I removed the lever and put the carpet/center counsel back in place. Then I took a utility knife and cut a small groove/slit through the carpet for the lever. The factory lever barely cleared the counsel without the handle on, so a slight bend to the lever was needed. It turned out looking good enough that the plastic cover wasn't needed. I can take some pics later if interested.
I'd be interested in seeing your setup Wes.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Ok, so something like an ox locker would use? Never seen that before but it sounds like a good idea.
This is the end of the cable, I have a small heim joint that goes on the end.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359498497.708367.jpg

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
The "cable" is more like a rod that slides inside the housing. The housing ends at the black rubber seal on the right.

·
Registered
466 Posts
The "cable" is more like a rod that slides inside the housing. The housing ends at the black rubber seal on the right.

Cool yea that's what I figured. I just found your other thread on here about it and looked at the companies site.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Here's a few pics. It's more subtle than the pictures make it look, either way it's funtion outways it's looks. I also have a 3" BL and had to deal with the fuel line issue when connecting the shift linkage. I ended up using part of a mower deck linkage from a craftsman mower, had the perfect bend to clear the lines and was adjustable.... no modifications to it were needed :p

·
Registered
466 Posts
Here's a few pics. It's more subtle than the pictures make it look, either way it's funtion outways it's looks. I also have a 3" BL and had to deal with the fuel line issue when connecting the shift linkage. I ended up using part of a mower deck linkage from a craftsman mower, had the perfect bend to clear the lines and was adjustable.... no modifications to it were needed :p

That looks pretty close to my console so I reckon it'd work for me too. I remember seeing a thread with that Craftsman part number, must have been you? I have the 3" BL as well so I'd have to come up with a way around those lines.

·
Registered
466 Posts

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
So tonight I finished the shifter instal. And I just ordered those linkage parts. They will be delivered on Monday. So by Tuesday it should be all done. Thanks for the link to sears, very helpful!

·
Registered
216 Posts
No problem..... I might be in need of help/advise in the near future, currently tearing down something from a 79 F350 to replace my IFS, and I remember a particular writeup in 4wor several years ago about a 3-linked nbs hoe.....

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Yeah that was me. If I can be of any help I will

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Just finished installing the shifter.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359676571.328218.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359676592.944747.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359676616.761494.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359676665.045041.jpg
No linkage yet. I should get that on Monday.

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,213 Posts
Do you still have the plastic shroud? Is it blue or grey? (From a 99-02 or an 03-06 truck)?

41 - 60 of 75 Posts