Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
very very likely- the 300 pops on the back of a lot of newer dodge stuff. you can clock it with a clocking ring too for better belly clearance- you have to tweak the t-case shifter a little with the size of the 435- just a little extra work.
Ken

·
Registered
775 Posts
Yep, its done. Here's some info.

I aquired a np435 out of a dodge with a 203.
The dodge 435 has the right output shaft size and spline count, and also the right indexing hole in the adapter for the 300. But the shaft was about 3/4" too long so I cut that off. After the splines, the shaft necks up bigger, and the d300 input was now bottoming on it, which necessitated a 3/16" spacer. The bolt pattern in the adapter was wrong so I had to redrill it, that cast steel drills real easy. I clocked it 1" higher than the bottom of the transmission. Then it bolted up, plenty easy enough. This combo ended up being 2" longer than it was with the t4.

Now to the engine end. The input shaft was ~2" too long, and the input bearing retainer too big. I went to my local manual transmission shop and traded them the dodge input shaft and bearing retainer and $15 for ford ones. The ford parts bolted right in to the dodge transmission. I used a novak pilot bushing just like one would when swapping in a ford transmission. Since my transmission now had a ford bearing retainer, that part lined up in the jeep sr4 bellhousing, and I had to drill 4 new holes to bolt the transmission to it. One is real close to the edge, and I had to use a 3/8" bolt, because the 1/2" I used on the others wouldn't have cleared. Also had to grind one side of the head of the 3/8" bolt off so it wouldn't hit the side of the bellhousing. Used a 79 CJ7 with 3 speed clutch.

Here's the skid plate.

Had to do some cutting on the floor to make stuff fit. And I cut and welded a d300 shifter handle onto that. Also removed the AC stuff.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
yes its bolt right up send me an e-mail at [email protected] i have a few pictures, if i remember its 28'' long from front face of transmission to the rear yoke. mine is still bolted to the dodge i have not done the ford input shaft swap yet. the stock dodge adapter is 8'' long and i used a mid 80's transmission from a RAM with a 208 behind it ( same boltpattern ), whats realy cool is you could do this swap 2 ways you can swap the ford input in the dodge and use the dodge tranny, or swap the dodge rear main shaft into the ford tranney, but it has to be a 4-wheel drive model ( ford ) not a 2 wheel drive, it has a different bolt pattern.
the dodge 4-wheel drive and the ford 4-wheel have the same 4-bolt pattern ( rear ), jason.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts