Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been scowering the internet this past week days and burnin up the search button trying to find every tidbit of information on this transmission swap. YES I KNOW to check out:

http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2002/np435d20/

current setups a 1990 Jeep Wrangler YJ with a 4.2L AX-15 and 231SYE. I recentely came picked up a Ford 1978 NP435/ np205 for $100. From what i read prior to buying it was a simple T150 bellhousing (which i picked up yesterday), pilot bushing and early 80's CJ7 external slave swap. But more and more pirate searching clutch components including flywheels, discs, throwout bearings and shift fork posistion are all coming into question. MY QUESTION is what if anything as far as AX15 stock clutch components can be retained or what definitely will be in need of replacing prior to installation?

If its really as simple as bc4x4 tech portrays it than thats awesome. It just would be nice to install this pig of a setup right the first time. Any help in this tranny conversion would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Pressure plate and flywheel can probably be reused. I ran an 80s XJ pressure plate in front of the 435 I had behind my 4.0. And you will need a Ford clutch disc to match the 10 spline input of the 435 obviously. I can't remember what throwout bearing I ended up using but it might have been from an XJ too. Slave cylinder was from a CJ and clutch master was from an XJ/YJ.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yah that sounds about right, with everything ive read. thanks for the response.

·
Premium Member
3,033 Posts
My dad was running a 435 behind his stock 258 in his 85 CJ-7. He used the clutch disk off a 68 mustang with the snout machined off something like .005" IIRC. Everything else was stock jeep parts from what the two of us can remember (did the swap originally in 94). I do remember he forgot to get the clutch disk machined the first time he put it in and it just resulted in the clutch dragging even with the pedal on the floor.
He just re-drilled his stock bellhousing from the T-5 to bolt to the 435 and an adapter from novak to put his Dana 300 behind it.

Since then he bought another motor that already had a centerforce setup on it and had a NP435 behind it in a previous setup. Truthfully, the only difference between the stock and centerforce was now it's almost eirie how little pressure it takes to push in the clutch pedal. Neither motor makes enough HP (even with aftermarket heads, headers, holley 390, intake) to slip even the stock disk so I can't vouch for how much more holding power the centerforce is supposed to have, however the lack of force to push down on the clutch makes for a nicer time off-road (no more sore knees). The original (NP435) setup is still sitting in the corner of the garage for spare parts because after 12 years and 100K miles it was still all in great shape.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ck the Novak web site for info on Np435 to Jeep install.
did that and also got in touch, via email, with novak and the only response i recieved was questions on a 4.0L CPS and what i was going to do with it. I replied the 87-90 Wranglers 4.2L straight 6's did not come with a CPS, as far as i know. They're an amazingly piece of garbage carb setups not EFI. But since then thats all ive heard from Novak.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Advanced adapters sells the clutch disc for this swap and from the responses it seems thats the key point along with the other junk i mentioned. Really looking forward to that granny gear :) . Once again any further input or expierences with this swap will be much appreciated

·
Registered
8 Posts
I replaced my T5 with the Np435. New pilot bushing from advance adapters and the T5 pressure plate and clutch disk, throw out bearing all were re-used with no problems. Don't recall if I used T5 fork or the T150 fork though - don't recall if there was anything different.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Don't give AA your money for the clutch disc. There's nothing special about it. The NP435 has a 1-1/16", 10 spline input and so does any '76-79 CJ. Buy a clutch disc for this application or just about any Ford truck with a 4-speed and you'll get the right clutch disc.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't give AA your money for the clutch disc. There's nothing special about it. The NP435 has a 1-1/16", 10 spline input and so does any '76-79 CJ. Buy a clutch disc for this application or just about any Ford truck with a 4-speed and you'll get the right clutch disc.
Right on about the clutch disc. AA prices on stuff are insane. I took one look at their bellhousing swap kit for the np435 and said theres gotta be a better way. Ive also heard mustangs have the same/similar disc setup that would work for the swap. But i think im just gonna run the 76-79 CJ one.

I replaced my T5 with the Np435. New pilot bushing from advance adapters and the T5 pressure plate and clutch disk, throw out bearing all were re-used with no problems. Don't recall if I used T5 fork or the T150 fork though - don't recall if there was anything different.

Yah I picked up a complete T150 for $50 from a local guy. From what ive read along with bellhousing, the T150 fork is supposed to be reused and im thinking to run a T150 new throwout bearing along with the new clutch disc.

Ive thought of the doubler idea before and thumbed with puttin money into the "indestructable" np231 and ruled both out because of expenses. I think when all is said and done i'll have about half of what i wouldve had in those ideas and be sittin pretty good as far as crawl ratio goes. This is all really helpin me out alot. great info guys, thanks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I put a 435/205 behind my 4.0 in my xj about 2-3 years ago. I used a entire clutch kit from a cherokee, it was the correct 10 spline. Really the only custom part needed was a pilot bushing, you can either have the ford pilot turned down to fit in the jeep flywheel or buy one made just for this conversion. I bought mine and had no problems, I dont remember where I got it from, I remember Novak and AA asking way to much and found it somewhere else. I used the stock throwout bearing and fork from my NP435, stock xj master cylinder and a slave from a mid 70's cj with a 4 banger. I used a t176 bell housing. I think I read that the mounting bosses are in the t150 bell but you have to drill new holes to bolt to the trans and there was possibly a need to enlarge the big hole for the np435 bearing? A test fit will answer any of those questions.
I had to deal with the CPS and it was easy. I didnt have any problems or much fabrication except for a new x-member and the hardest part was because I didnt have a real frame.

I went from 2wd to 4wd and I got a stock rear d44 from a 87 xj and a stock d30 non disco HP from a 91 xj, both had 3.55's and I was rolling on 33" tires. Gearing was awesome offroad but hwy was a killer! I didnt like reving it up to much cause I was still breaking in the new motor. I think for a daily driver on 33's 3.07 gears would have been better.

I sold the XJ right after I built it and the guy is getting rid of it so Im going back to get it again. My plan is to go with 35" tires, might stay with 3.55's or maybe 3.07 gears and get a short 435/205 adapter and get a 203/205 doubler kit. I think that would be the best bet for highway duty and offroad gearing.

heres a great gear ratio calculator to use.

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts