Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may have been gone over before, but I don't think so.

If I am buying an np435 to bolt to the back of my 258, what part is the direct bolt up? Will it bolt to my current bellhousing, or do I need the Ford bellhousing to bolt up to my 258?

J. J.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
the ford np 435 will bolt up to your bellhousing. you will need a different clutch because the ford uses a different spline count than the t176. you will probably need the ford throw out bearing too. you keep your current pressure plate but you need to make sure you get the same diameter clutch disc as your pressure plate uses. another thing is the pilot bearing. you'll need a different i believe. it would a goodd idea if you give advance adapters a call though. they should be able to tewll you in detail what is involved. i just tried to give you alittle of the info i know. i had a 258 with a t176 and swapped the 258 with a 351w and then later swapped the t176 for a np435.

·
Premium Member
12,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by high5:
<STRONG>the ford np 435 will bolt up to your bellhousing. you will need a different clutch because the ford uses a different spline count than the t176. you will probably need the ford throw out bearing too. you keep your current pressure plate but you need to make sure you get the same diameter clutch disc as your pressure plate uses. another thing is the pilot bearing. you'll need a different i believe. it would a goodd idea if you give advance adapters a call though. they should be able to tewll you in detail what is involved. i just tried to give you alittle of the info i know. i had a 258 with a t176 and swapped the 258 with a 351w and then later swapped the t176 for a np435.</STRONG>
So all I need is the tranny if I already have the 258 bellhousing?

J. J.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
yes to bolt it up all you need is the 258 bellhousing because the t-176 and the np435 share the same bolt pattern. you will also need a different pilot bearing because the np435 shaft and the t176 shaft are different. that is about it other than the clutch i mentioned earlier.

·
Premium Member
12,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool. Thanks. That's what I thought but I wanted to check and make sure. I've heard rumors that np435's have a tendancy to slip out of gear, though. Is there anything to these?

J. J.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Originally posted by patooyee:
<STRONG>Cool. Thanks. That's what I thought but I wanted to check and make sure. I've heard rumors that np435's have a tendancy to slip out of gear, though. Is there anything to these?

J. J.</STRONG>

I have not experienced that with mine.

--Steve

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
rock slut is right that is exactly what i did....but you can fix it by either loading the spring for the detent ball on the shift rail and also grinding the detent in the rail a bit deeper.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.