Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
NP205 output bearings radial load?

Does anyone know if the NP205's output bearings can hold up the stresses involved in a reduction chain drive?

If not, does anyone know if there is an easy to convert the TH400 into a 2wd transmission (transmission is from a 1981 1 ton K30 crew cab)? I really don't want to have to fab/deal with more than one supported shaft. The room the transfercase consumes would be better used in other ways!

BTW, is the hydraulic steering/brake pump prone to failure? Are there any extra parts you guys recomend I bring along on trips? I don't want both brakes and steering to fail at the same time! :mad:

Edit: NP205, not 505! :mad:

Grant

·
Registered
192 Posts
What will the chain drive be used for?

I don't think there is a way to convert the 400 to 2wd unless you fab up some sort of block off plate and output shaft seal. Then you have to drill a hole in the shaft to retain the fixed yoke, unless you use a slip yoke on it.

The pump isn't really prone to failure. Usually it is the lines that go first.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1tonyota said:
What will the chain drive be used for?
Chain drive reduction. For crawl and driveline protection. It is much better to reduce speed after the transmission rather than after the transfer case. Much less torque to deal with.

The VW guys with their 4 cyl pancake motors+transaxle use chain drive reduction off of the wheel hub, but they can get away with that because they didn't have much torque to start with. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts