Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Having worked on the six speeds at the dealer, I think it may fit directly together, but I've never done the swap, myself. i didn't have a loose Dana 300 to try the mate up, but it sure looked like it would work to me.

The six speed "Mercedes" trans does have a low 4.4-1 first gear, IIRC.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Novak makes and adapter/clocking ring so they bolt up. I agree about an AX-15 or an NV3550 being a better swap.
http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/kit_153.htm

note the following:

Transmission Versions
You may need to add and install an input shaft for your Dana 300. Depending on which transmission you are using.

23 spline, extended length shafts are for:
NSG370
So looks like you need that ring and their extended input shaft. FWIW, I originally had an NSG for my CJ but traded it for an ax15. Reasons included the above as well as comparative aftermarket support and the ax15's known reputation. That being said, I say go for it if you are willing to deal with those issues. It seems like it'd be a cool tranny to run.

·
Registered
750 Posts
If memory serves, the six speeds' output shaft is just below flush with the flange on the extension housing, just like that on a CJ T5 or one of the 998/32RH 3 speed autos. The 42RLE has the same arrangement, too, IIRC.

If the rotation is in the correct clock position for the six Dana 300 t-case mounting studs to get it to fit where you want it, I think it would fit right on without the extended shaft. The extended shaft might be needed if you use the 7/8" thick clocking ring they are selling. If it fits together with a proper amount of spline engagement, but the clocking is off, there is the possibility that the extension housing can be redrilled to change the clocking without needing an adapter ring.

The other thing to look for when mounting it to the six speed is that the Dana 300 will have enough room for the shift lever housing with the clocking angle you want to use.

The AX-15 output shaft stands out from the level of the extension housing, so with the long input gear of a stock Dana 300, using a clocking ring or thick spacer ring is the only way to mate the two together.

Gillard, If you have both units handy, please try fitting them together and post the results!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the help it is much appreciated, the output shaft out of the trans is about 1/2'' past so i should be able to do clocking ring with out a new shaft

·
Registered
655 Posts
If memory serves, the six speeds' output shaft is just below flush with the flange on the extension housing, just like that on a CJ T5 or one of the 998/32RH 3 speed autos. The 42RLE has the same arrangement, too, IIRC.

If the rotation is in the correct clock position for the six Dana 300 t-case mounting studs to get it to fit where you want it, I think it would fit right on without the extended shaft. The extended shaft might be needed if you use the 7/8" thick clocking ring they are selling. If it fits together with a proper amount of spline engagement, but the clocking is off, there is the possibility that the extension housing can be redrilled to change the clocking without needing an adapter ring.

The other thing to look for when mounting it to the six speed is that the Dana 300 will have enough room for the shift lever housing with the clocking angle you want to use.

The AX-15 output shaft stands out from the level of the extension housing, so with the long input gear of a stock Dana 300, using a clocking ring or thick spacer ring is the only way to mate the two together.

Gillard, If you have both units handy, please try fitting them together and post the results!
That makes a lot of sense. So you should be able to 'clock' it to where you'd like it, then drill proper mounting holes into the nsg, without the extra parts. So the extended shaft is only needed b/c of the thickness of the added ring....

·
Registered
655 Posts
Thanks for all the help it is much appreciated, the output shaft out of the trans is about 1/2'' past so i should be able to do clocking ring with out a new shaft
No, if you use the clocking ring you need it. I think Marty was saying you dont need either, just drill new holes...

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts
have you drove a jeep with a 6 speed? I don,t care for them. I,d go with a nv4500. just my 2 cents.
I had a 1986 CJ7 with the NV4500 and I now have a 2006 LJ with the 6 sp.
I much prefer the 6 sp. as the ratios are much closer. The 2-3 and 3-5
splits on the NV4500 were huge and sucked balls on the street.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any update to this? I am debating on running a 3.6/NSG370/Dana300 on my CJ. Crazy yes, but I have all of these already on hand.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts