Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
836 Posts
So...Wait...He's putting a Toyota 8" rear axle in, or he's lifting the rear 8"?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,625 Posts
Are MTR's available again? I tried to get some a month or so ago and was told no dice at America's Tire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wilson said:
Are MTR's available again? I tried to get some a month or so ago and was told no dice at America's Tire.
Picked them up with 70% left for a :smokin: good deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
844 Posts
Uhhg. I Hate welding and grinding. :-/ I think i have 4 soild hours of non-stop welding and grinding on this project so far.

I dunno what Numtel is thinking letting a Ford guy work on his junk, that boy must be nuts.

It is all going pretty well, except for the fact that my bro thought he would be able to reuse his U-bolts, we can't even get the nuts back on them. They are so bent and fubared from several trips of getting dragged through the 'con.

So, tomorrow, we will get new U-bolts made, and i will start stretching the rear 8".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,625 Posts
93chico4by said:
Uhhg. I Hate welding and grinding. :-/ I think i have 4 soild hours of non-stop welding and grinding on this project so far.

I dunno what Numtel is thinking letting a Ford guy work on his junk, that boy must be nuts.

It is all going pretty well, except for the fact that my bro thought he would be able to reuse his U-bolts, we can't even get the nuts back on them. They are so bent and fubared from several trips of getting dragged through the 'con.

So, tomorrow, we will get new U-bolts made, and i will start stretching the rear 8".

What's the plan for the stretch? Flipped springs and moved back? I got my wheelbase out to 103" and seems pretty long. I went with $ runner rear spring hybrid up front and S10 rears in the back. The rear springs bolted into the stock hanger and gave me another 4" on top of what the flipped springs get you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We're using 2.5" lift springs, moved up 2.5" and back 8". Should be interesing. All that's happening tomorrow in the daylight. :grinpimp:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
844 Posts
section525 said:
We're using 2.5" lift springs, moved up 2.5" and back 8". Should be interesing. All that's happening tomorrow in the daylight. :grinpimp:

yep, the shackle will be hanging off the rear of the bumper, just barely. The main reason for this is that Numtel (my brother) broke mainleaf this summer and bought a brand new set of 2.5 springs. So, it seemed like it would be nice to be able to use those two packs in the spring-over somehow. But he really didn't want it that tall, so this is the solution i came up with. 8" is mostly because in the rear, the spring hanger is right where the frame starts to go up, so if i find the point 2.5" up (to compensate fo rthe lift springs in rear and stockers in front) it moves it back 8".

That is why we are not going to flip the springs( the tires would then be 4" past the rear bumper). I feel the advantages of this will be the fact that we are running damn near new springs (not 40 y/o ones). The stiffer lift springs should help control axle wrap better (a traction bar is obviously the next project though ;) ) and the stiffer springs should make it more stable, and reduce some of the body sway that sprung over cruisers seem to have a fondness for.

But, in all reality i have never done anything like this before and i am fully expecting something not to go as planned, luckily it ain't my truck :p



:flipoff2:

Edit: as it sits now:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,630 Posts
93chico4by said:
But, in all reality i have never done anything like this before and i am fully expecting something not to go as planned, luckily it ain't my truck :p

:flipoff2:
93chico4by said:
Good attitude!! I learned a great deal over the years convincing people to let me try some hair-brained ideas on their junk.....

Carry on!!:beer:


Chris:cool2:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,525 Posts
looking good phil. i wont be back in chico until tuesady or so, or i would be over helping out if i could. ill hit you guys up later this week to see how its going.

Callen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay. We've (they've) been workin all morning. This is where we're at:

Rear axle; stock location:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
844 Posts
welp, i decided to not hold back, and gave him my full 10". :eek:







you can tell that the rear shackle went a little flatter than we anticipated, and it sits a little low out back right now. It was really hard to tell where the front and rear-end were gonna end up in relationship to each other, i am pretty pleased with it though. A longer shackle in the back should fix the angle and level it out nicely.

And it looks SICK in person. Tomorrow we will finish up on the body trimming. the rear fenders are gonna go to the top of the wheel well (about 3" more" and the bent-ass rockers are coming off. The front fenders will also get a little taken off of them, mostly just the very outside edge at the top and the bent portion near the bottom. (if you couldn't tell the plan is to just cut off all the bent steel instead of just fixing it).

And we have the tires (37 MTrs) but we are waiting on rims, that should be about a week away.
 
1 - 20 of 95 Posts
Top