Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have 2300 # Zuk 3.73s 1.3 with 31.5s on spring over. power ain't where id like it but liveable I also have toy axles in barn with 4.37 r&ps if I put them in and ran 33s or maybe 32/11.50s where would I be ?Geared a little better but what about the added weight axles & tires & rolling resistance.Total pig? DoIT ? Need opinions from the experts with the 1.3 THANX in advance

·
Registered
343 Posts
With the Toy axles and their 4.37 R&Ps your still going to need
a 4.89 or at least a 4.16 T-case gearset to run 32 or33" tires
and be geared proper for the street.Plus you'll love the low
range.

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
Toy axles.......... No cost to you............. 4:38 gears.....

Why aren't they in the zuk yet? Of course you should do it!
I'd swap them in even if you don't uprgrade your tire size. You are fortunate to have the 4:38s over the more common 4:10 ratio.

If you can afford it, do the t-case gears as well. The 4.89 t-case with the 4:38 axles would be a very nice combo for 33"s both on the trail and the road.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THANX there not in because spent last wk endputting 5.29s in my toy fb along with too many other projects but please explain WHY I would need lower transfercase gearset for the street? I realize im a little high in low range now for what im using it for but this change would even help a bit

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
For strictly street use, the t-case gears will help out as well. The GRS-I 4.16 case would lower your hi-range 12 %, the GRS-II 4.89 gears would lower it 18%. This is pretty significant and helps alot.

However, you would not need them persay, they would just help. I just naturally assume that you want to crawl over rocks because you posted this question on the most hardcore rockcrawling forum there is. That's when you are going to really see the benefit of t-case gears, in Lo-range.

I personally ran 33"s with stock gears for awhile on my zuk. It did ok, I just held out the gears and revved it out, but it still went down the street just fine. I think you'd be good to go with the 4.38 gears in the axles. It's all about what you're willing to tolerate. I just accepted that my zuk wasn't a normal car, and drove it accordingly.

·
Registered
343 Posts
twoshot said:
please explain WHY I would need lower transfercase gearset for the street? I realize im a little high in low range now for what im using it for but this change would even help a bit
Samurai T-cases give a reduction in both high and low range.
Stock is 1.409 in high and 2.268 in low.The aftermarket
gearsets increase the reduction in both ranges.The 4.16 gears
are 1.58 in high (12% extra) and the 4.89 gears are 1.63 in
high range (15.6% extra).
Changing transfercase gears costs about the same as changing
two sets of R&P's and it's easier to do.You get a killer low range to boot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts