Pirate 4x4 banner

NV 4500 swap

944 views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Bushwhacker 
#1 ·
I'm looking to swap a NV 4500 into my late model TJ, replacing the NV 3550. Has anyone done this swap? Any problems?

Searched all forums with no luck on this particular combo.

#3 ·
I looked at putting on in front of my Atlas 2 when I put it in, but the shifter on the 4500 sits in the middle of the case, unlike the 3550 where it is on the rear. You'll have to rig up some kind of shifter. There is a guy on one of the MSN communty boards(like webshots)that claims to have swapped one, but there are no pictures. He goes by the name GainesvilleTX. I can't remember what the link is.

Hope this helps.

-Colby

#4 ·
Jason - It will be for sale. I'll post back when/if I get it done.

Colby - I went through the Advance Adapters material and it showed the 3550 shifter at 12" from the front face. Naturally, they said nothing about the 4500. However, both of these show to be almost a bolt-in if you're swapping out an AX-15.

So, if A=C and B=C, then does A=B?

#5 ·
Maybe there is a difference between Dodge/Chevy models. From the info and measurements/specs we had the shifter looked like it was going to be a problem... I'll keep looking around and see if I can find some more info. I'd like to do the same swap myself. The 3550 output shaft bearing rattles like hell when its up against that atlas.

-Colby

#8 ·
With the 5.6 first gear (vs 3.9 stock), you get a final drive ratio similar to the stock trans and an Atlas T-case, and you get the trans upgrade at about 60% of the Atlas cost (based on $1000 for the trans at and $300 in adapters). This trans is easier to swap a V-8 to also. I would look at going this route before the Atlas route.

#10 ·
willie_g said:
I'm looking to swap a NV 4500 into my late model TJ, replacing the NV 3550. Has anyone done this swap? Any problems?

Searched all forums with no luck on this particular combo.
I did this swap. Lets just say that its not a day job. ;)
I researched it with AA for months before I started it, and at the time they werent much help with the tcase shifter and told me to figure it out and let them know. I would think that they are better at this swap by now. They have diagrams and all the part numbers on their site to download and you can have them send you the books with all the info.

I got my rebuilt Dodge 4500 with the GM input shaft and GM shifter for $1000. The adapters,slave,and other parts probably ran another $1000. You'll have to modify your stock skid also. Helps if you have a 2" body lift to make room for that big pig. Make sure you have a good tranny jack also, cuz that pig is heavy. :flipoff2:

#12 ·
willie_g said:
Bushwacker - How much did you have to change? Bellhousing? Clutch slave cylinder? What about shifter location as we discussed above?
I got the bellhousing and tcase adapter housings, braided clutch line/fitting, clutch fork, and bearings from AA. I ordered the 4cyl CJ slave from 4wp.

I had to cut an inch or so from the front side of the stock hole in the floor to fit the shift tower thru. It all depends on how much body lift you have. I have a home made shifter so I dont know if the GM shifter handle works or not.

The stock tcase shifter bracket bolts onto the studs on the tcase. This is the biggest pain in the ass of the whole thing. The way they machine the holes for the tcase studs doesnt give you much room to get a wrench on the nuts. The new bracket they have that the bellcrank hangs from helps but its hard to get it on the studs to bolt it up solid. I had to cut a hunk out of my bracket and weld a new brace on to get it to fit over a boss that sticks out of the adapter housing. The nice thing about the bracket is that it eliminates having the bellcrank mounted to the tub.

Bleeding the slave/master is another pain to get right. You have to bleed it until you get at least an inch of travel from the slave to dissengage the clutch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.