Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17,122 Posts
i have one but it was run low on fluid. needs new input and counter gears. i have the rebuild kit with synchros to go with it if you're interested.

·
Registered
445 Posts
32 spline

i would like to see that.dodge ner used a 32 spline output shaft on the nv4500.dodge uses 23 and 29 now all they use is 29 spline.chevy used the 32 spline output shaft on all nv4500 4x4.you can replace the dodge with a chevy 32 spline but it will be too long if you are using the dodge tailhousing.the chevy tailhousing is almost 2 inches longer than the dodge tailhousing.i can build you what ever you want.thank you, jim

·
Registered
17,122 Posts
i know mine came out of a CTD cause i looked it up by tag#. i can check the spline count tomorrow night.

look on AAs website, it'll tell you. their NV4500 booklet is very informative.

·
Registered
445 Posts
32 spline

yes, i know i have bought a lot from advance adapters.the dodge model for the ctd is 29 spline.chevy uses the 32 spline. jim

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
jrjeepparts is right. GM uses 32 spline, Dodge uses 23 or 29 spline with the CTD coming with the 29 spline. However, the parts are interchangeable if the entire output shaft, tail housing and IIRC the 4th and OD gearsets too are swapped.

From '96 on the NV4500 case is the same between the Dodge and Chevy. The input shaft can be swapped and you can install the Chevy NV4500 in the Dodge but you'd then need to change the front case half and input shaft on the NP241 Tcase. It's not hard and the parts are pretty easy to find.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, good info. :) Guess I cant count for shit. :laughing: Mine is a 98 model out of a 3500 CTD mated to a 241 DHD transfer. I dont have a clue as to why it eats bearings, but I give up. :( What happens to the one in it is simple, set the endplay per spec after pressing in the races and pressing the bearing on the shafts. Install the unit and it works great. Within 20K it will be making these slight "scrapeing sounds, if you pull it then, either the mainshaft or countershat end play will be excessive, reshim it and its quiet for another 5K or so. Pull it down then and the main and counter races will be chewed a bit, presumably from being run too loose. The bearings actually will look pretty good. I think the case is stretching across the top as the mainshaft is the most likely to loosen. No, the 5th gear nut has never been loose, I replaced it when the unit was originally installed and payed up for the silly socket to tighten it. Being that I'm getting really tired of pulling this monster out I figure trying a different unit would be a good idea. The gear sets, synchros, idler bearing and shafts always look flawless when pulled down. <shrug> Orange FJ, I just might be interested in the case and kit. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts