Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got two good nv4500 transmissions, but I'm realizing neither of them will work for my application.
One is a used '92-'94 GM 4wd nv4500.
The other is a rebuilt '95 GM 4wd nv4500.

I would like to switch to the '96+ internal slave, due to driveshaft interference with the external slave used on the '92-'95 transmissions.

Can I buy a bare case and bellhousing for any '96+ 2wd/4wd GM nv4500, and move all my '95 internals over to that case? Theoretically the gear ratios are the same from '95 and up. This looks like potentially the cheapest route.

I'd be happy to trade transmissions with someone, but that's a challenge in itself. Honestly, if I could hand both of these transmissions to someone, and receive a good functional '96+ 4wd trans in trade, with no money changing hands, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'm just getting a little burned out with this project, and want it done.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm installing a LS engine into a squarebody.

Earlier, I wanted to go with the external slave for serviceability, so I bought a '92-94 transmission and bell.

I got to thinking, and realized that the later ratios would be a lot better, so I picked up a '95 trans and bell, which still retains the external slave.

After I got the engine into the truck, I'm realizing that the external slave and the driveshaft are just WAY too close together at stock height. I may raise the truck two inches in the future, but that's still a little ways off.

Now, I'm just looking for the cheapest route to get a internal slave, and still maintain my build theme of as many stock GM parts as possible.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts