Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i'm running a dodge 5.9/46re in my tj and i'm switching it to a dodge light duty nv4500 (the 23 spline one).

my question is what master and slave combo do i need for the clutch? i still have the master cylinder from my ax15, can i use the stock jeep unit or stock dodge unit with it? is there something else i should be using?

i've tried searching but can't seem to find anything for a dodge motor and tranny in a jeep. everything i've found has either been for a chevy motor or trans... or doesn't talk about the master and slave at all.

can anyone shed a light on this for me?

·
Registered
737 Posts
I used the stock 88 master and internal slave in my NV4500 swap. I used the replacement front bearing retainer for the NV4500 that Advanced sells, as well as their bellhousing to trans adaptor plate.

If you want, you can buy their full bellhousing kit and go an external slave from the late model NV3500 series trans as well.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you, i guess i should have been more specific.
my trans came off of a 96 gas 5.9 4x4 dodge 2500. it already has the bellhousing for the 5.9 attached to it with a provision for an external slave cylinder. this will bolt in place of the 46re i have now between my 5.9 and my dana 300.

the only thing i can't figure out, and what i'm asking is... what slave cylinder do i use with my jeep master cylinder? the dodge slave? the jeep slave? or something else all together.

can i use the jeep slave with the jeep master on the dodge bellhousing?
or do i need the dodge slave? will it work with the jeep master?
or do i need to switch out the jeep master cylinder with a dodge master cylinder?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nevermind. i made this out to be more complicated than it was. the jeep and dodge use the same slave cylinder.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the cj slave will work on a chevy bellhousing.
the dodge one though uses a jeep/dodge slave cylinder.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a 5.9 and a nv4500 in my yj i used a 88 master cylinder and a tj line c
kit from advanced and a adapter they have to hook it to the stock fitting on the nv4500 works pretty well if you shift slow and make shore the clutch pedal is all the way down.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Sharing my experience here for documentation purposes and maybe help others in the future.

Swapped a 1995 GM nv4500 (older style, passenger side slave) into a 2006 LJ with a 6.0L.
Used the stock 2006 Jeep master cylinder and a 95 nv4500 GM slave at first. It worked but was stiff and had a short stroke.

Bought a 84' CJ7 4 cyl slave and the mounting bolt pattern was not the same as the GM. Maybe this isnt the CJ slave folks are talking about or maybe its being used on another year NV4500?

I just swapped the stock 2006 Jeep LJ slave cylinder onto the 95 GM slave cylinder bracket. It was an exact fit, used the same snap rings even, but the cylinder was rotated 90 degrees off. Since the Jeep slave doesn't appear to have a bleed screw like the GM it has to be hand bleed or pumped bleed or however you want to get the air out. So being 90 degrees off doesn't matter.

The Jeep Slave is slightly easier to push, test drive pending but I have little concern there is going to be an issue.

I measured the slave cylinder diameters as follows:
1995 GM slave 0.803" = 0.506 sq. in. area
2006 Jeep slave 0.837" = 0.550 sq. in. area

This results in about an 8% increase in area for an easier clutch peddle and longer stroke. A 7/8 bore from the CJ, if the mounting pattern fit, would have given about a 16% increase in area.

·
Registered
131 Posts
is that 2006 MC plastic? Looks really similar to the early Dodge NV4500 slaves.
Your results sound like what I want but I would like different mounting and a bleeder screw.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i'm running a dodge 5.9/46re in my tj and i'm switching it to a dodge light duty nv4500 (the 23 spline one).

my question is what master and slave combo do i need for the clutch? i still have the master cylinder from my ax15, can i use the stock jeep unit or stock dodge unit with it? is there something else i should be using?

i've tried searching but can't seem to find anything for a dodge motor and tranny in a jeep. everything i've found has either been for a chevy motor or trans... or doesn't talk about the master and slave at all.

can anyone shed a light on this for me?

TJ slave and reservoir assembly works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts