Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say one were to purchase the AA LT230-NV4500 adapter - What spline count is the spud shaft? NVs came in 23,29 (dodge) and 32 (chev) spl. I want to run a 5.9 diesel NV4500 so I don't have to change out the output shaft, but I really doubt that the AA adapter works with the 29 spl. output. I'll probably make my own, but an off-the shelf adapter would be nice, just in case I bust the spud shaft.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
call AA I am pretty sure that Frankenrover here on the board had them build a nv4500 with a chevy input and dodge output or something crazy like that. I'm sure they'd be willing to tell you what they offer.

-ben

·
Registered
59 Posts
Say one were to purchase the AA LT230-NV4500 adapter - What spline count is the spud shaft? NVs came in 23,29 (dodge) and 32 (chev) spl. I want to run a 5.9 diesel NV4500 so I don't have to change out the output shaft, but I really doubt that the AA adapter works with the 29 spl. output. I'll probably make my own, but an off-the shelf adapter would be nice, just in case I bust the spud shaft.
Hi do you have a link to this adapter or a P/N? I searched on there site but came up with zero.

Gaza

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I mentioned it in another post, but Matthew Jackson (former BCB) is at Advance now and has some Rover things in the works. Im not sure of the specifics, so drop him a line for details. [email protected]

-Jeff

·
Registered
59 Posts
I mentioned it in another post, but Matthew Jackson (former BCB) is at Advance now and has some Rover things in the works. Im not sure of the specifics, so drop him a line for details. [email protected]

-Jeff
Thanks Email sent.

Handbuilt I used a late GM NV4500 and swapped the I/P shaft and bellhousing for a Dodge one. I could then use a Marks TH400 LT230 adapter and modified the alloy housing this then was only 3.5" and spud shafts are off the shelf Marks TH400 items. Do you have any more info/pics of your rover 6bt? Do you use a dodge auto to LT230? how did you do the adapter?

Gaza

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How are you making the spud shaft? Im assuming half 29 spline coupler from a 205? and half 230 input?
Yah, I did the same for my current 23 spline coupler for the 727/A518 - bore one end of the coupler to the OD of the Rover spud shaft at the female spline minus a few thou, freeze shaft, heat coupler, press together, and weld.

I may just end up building a 23 spline output NV4500 so I can reuse my current coupler, but I would rather have the larger output.

·
Registered
985 Posts
i have some picture of what i did, but not on the computer yet.

I used a 2x4 dodge nv4500 main shaft and had the output splines turned and resplined to th400 32 spline(~1.37 OD)
I then had the lt230 input gear broached to match.

I know someone who had a coupler shaft with the standard rover spline and it twisted from the torque of a 6.5 turbo

The adapter from the trans to tcase is an aluminum 1" thick plate(started with 1.25")
I had to clock the tcase way up, which will require a smaller ebrake. The output height is close to stock as the engine /trans/tcase package is all lower in the frame

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
i have some picture of what i did, but not on the computer yet.

I used a 2x4 dodge nv4500 main shaft and had the output splines turned and resplined to th400 32 spline(~1.37 OD)
I then had the lt230 input gear broached to match.

I know someone who had a coupler shaft with the standard rover spline and it twisted from the torque of a 6.5 turbo

The adapter from the trans to tcase is an aluminum 1" thick plate(started with 1.25")
I had to clock the tcase way up, which will require a smaller ebrake. The output height is close to stock as the engine /trans/tcase package is all lower in the frame
That's a really good idea. What did the machine work run you? Who did it? I guess you bolted on a 4wd tailhousing, and just used a 2wd shaft? I was thinking about how silly it was to be upgrading the tranny output to 29 spline when the spud shaft is only 10 spline and really small. The driveline on V2.0 is 6BT / NV4500 / 1.003 LT230 / flange yoke 1410 / Eaton 4:10. Right now it's a 6BT / A518 auto / 1.22 LT230 / 9.5 Cruiser FF 4.10 E locker. It is working out OK but I haven't really beat on it and I want this thing to be completely bomber on 39s, mostly for towing.

I had to hang the motor up higher as mine is a 6 and the oil pan cuts into the front axle space big time, so the T case clocking is all stock. As you know that block is really tall, I basically went for as high and rearward as I could. The oil filler cap is on the 3rd valve cover for hood clearance, I'm 1/2 away from the bulkhead.

Edit:

Also curious as to why you machined down to 32 spline. The Chevy output shaft at the yoke should be 35 spline, which is a pretty common broach. Lengthwise it's a tossup, with the Dodge output housing it would likely be in the right area and the splined section is really long (over 2 inches). Chances are you could get your spline engagement to line up decently without any trouble.

It would be sick to be able to use a stock 2wd Chev NV4500 mainshaft and only have to send the input gear from the T case to Moser for a 35 spline broaching job. Man, that would be totally bomber!

·
Registered
985 Posts
I measured the Dodge nv4500 output at 1.61 OD. I thought that would make the bearing surfaces on the input gear to thin. The 32 spline th400 size is pretty standard.......

yes 4x4 tail housing with a 2x4 main shaft.
Dutchman did the machine work. It cost alot due to the anealing and re-hardening. I think it would have been cheaper to do a 300m coupler shaft.

If I was to sell this adapter based on the pricing for this first one off it would have to be $2K!!

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I measured the Dodge nv4500 output at 1.61 OD. I thought that would make the bearing surfaces on the input gear to thin. The 32 spline th400 size is pretty standard.......

yes 4x4 tail housing with a 2x4 main shaft.
Dutchman did the machine work. It cost alot due to the anealing and re-hardening. I think it would have been cheaper to do a 300m coupler shaft.

If I was to sell this adapter based on the pricing for this first one off it would have to be $2K!!
From what I can find online the Dodge 2wd is slip yoke and 30/31 spline, and the Chevy is fixed yoke and 35 spline. Assuming it's a standard spline, the 35 should be a 1.5 major dia. The Dodge likely has an odd spline if it measures out at 1.6. The 32 is 1 3/8 usually. I will have to get the vernier out and check out an LT230 input gear. I am trying to get away from having to re-harden shafts, for obvious reasons. The factory mainshaft is probably close enough to make it work lengthwise, it would be sweet to only have to send out the LR input gear for broaching. Did Dutchman re-harden the gear? The gear may only be surface hardened, and after removing all that metal you may likely be into some soft steel.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
heres a pic of the new output shaft and the adapter plate.
Thanks for the pics, this is really great. That is a Dodge mainshaft right? I am going to get a Chevy mainshaft and see if it would work with the factory 35 spline. I think that slip yokes are usually a different pressure angle, so the diameters would be different. I am hoping that the chevy uses the common 35axle spline so I can get moser or dutchman or even Cone to broach the input gear.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wow, this is an old thread. Anyone get to the bottom of this? Can the LT230 input gear be broached to fit the chevy 32 spline output shaft?

Also, what's the story on that output plate? Where can I get one to bore out or use as a template?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts