Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the AA kit for the 3 speed transfer case will work with a 2wd NV4500?

And yes, I searched.

·
Banned
1,024 Posts
AA wants you to use a 4wd chevy NV4500 with most of there kits, you can change the output shaft to a 4wd chevy and the tail housing and it will work fine.
I have the dodge HD 2wd NV4500, I have to change to a 4wd output (staying with the HD 29 spline) and 4wd tail housing, a dana 300 will bolt directly to it with a new 29 spline input shaft, no adapter needed. if you have the dodge trans, remember the input shaft is 1" longer, and the pilot shaft is a bigger dia. also, AA has the parts to adapt this to your application.
good luck.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Hey, if you don't mind I don't know much about the 300 t case (actually I know nothing about it). You or anyone else mind summing it up in a paragraph or two?

Gearing, offset front and rear (I believe front, centered rear, right?), strength, what it came out of, and noise?

Thanks Brotha... :)

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Dana 300 came in CJ7's and scouts IIRC. Centered rear output, righthand front output in Jeeps, can be made to shift into FWD low like an Atlas, and 4:1 gearsets are availible. Pretty compact cast iron case, can be upgraded for stronger output shaft. Here is one for sale on ebay...

·
Banned
1,024 Posts
cruiserbrett said:
Dana 300 came in CJ7's...
To My knowledge, Dana 300s were in all CJs between 1980, and 1986, as well as some scouts. They have a few weeknesses, but are suppose to be almost as strong after the upgrades as a stock 205.
"almost" :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
On the 300 T/C thing. Is that the one that can be a centered rear output or right offset rear output? I know one of those T/C cases you can change for your aplication.:confused:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Dana 20 used before the dana 300 and also in Broncos and Scouts. If you have the internals from a Dana 18 (used prior to the dana 20) you can convert a dana 20 case to rear passenger output. The dana 20 is not as strong as the 300 but it is an all gear case with a cast iron housing. The dana 18 is a bit weaker yet but stronger when built in a 20 case. Both the dana 18 and dana 20 have 3.15:1 gears available from TeraLow but failure rate on them is said to be pretty high at least thats the finding from POR users.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts