Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the tranny filter on my 88 FJ62 Land Cruiser. The owner's manual said to put roughly 7.5 quarts of oil with a filter change. (Just as a reminder) The vehicle has been sitting for about 9 to 10 months. I bought (2) 1 gallon jugs of tranny fluid. That's 8 quarts. The engine has been cold for a very long time. I filled it up with 5 quarts of fluid. The dipstick read that it was full at the "COLD" level. It is sometimes difficult to read the dipstick because all the fluid hadn't settled at the bottom yet.
I start the engine and let it run for about 20 to 25 minutes since the car hadn't been running for so long.
While the vehicle was running I tried to check the fluid level on "HOT". The fluid wasn't showing up on the dipstick at all. Just a very, very thin bead running somewhat between cold and hot.
I added one more quart and there was a more noticeable change in the level. THE IS NOW 6 QUARTS OF FLUID.
I put the vehicle in drive and nothing happened. I wiggled the shifter a little and it went forward and then stopped on its own.
I put it in reverse, there was a delay for a second, I jiggled the shifter and it went in and out of gear by itself. It sort of like a warped ball rolling.
What I'm seeing is that the gears are slipping and not staying in the gear I chose. There is no odd sounds coming from the tranny area.
Does this mean that I didn't put enough fluid in or is the tranny shot and I need a new tranny.
Please have good news. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
more fluid, dont get worried til it starts punkin out dip tube. don't fill it that much but you get the point. I know th400's won't do shit until enough fluid is in there. 8 qts was barely enough on that 1.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Add some more fluid and see what happens. It does sound low to me but did you put the filter on right?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts