Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to check a O2 censer with a muli meter? I still have a glowing exhaust manafold and I just want to make sure it is the o2 before I fork out the money for a new one. Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
the sensor should show between 0-1 volt.
it needs to be cycling between at least 200 and 800millivolts.

·
Registered
204 Posts
not really, the o2 switches too fast for the meter to keep up, your best bet would be to use a digital oscilloscope, but you could use the DMM on the millivolts scale to see if its putting out a very high voltage or low voltage, one question, did you use any non sensor safe silicone on the engine recently, that stuff will contaminate the o2 and may make it produce a very high voltage, thus the ECU will lean out the mixture to try to compensate for the false rich signal

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope hadn't used any nonsafe silicone, However its a new motor and the old motor ran like shit cause of a TPS problem. I am just wondering if the O2 sencer could of gone bad since it was running like crap? My friend said he replaced it but that was about 5 months back when the old motor was running crapy, he also said it was one that he had to put the conector togather on it. Let me know if you think running with a bad TPS and crapy running motor would make a O2 senser go bad fast. Thanks again.
Scott

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
when my o2 sensor was crapping out becasue the wire got cooked, my idle really, really sucked, idled way low and almost stalled and my check enigine light was on.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
if you have or can find an owners manual............

there is a section in there where it says the o2 should be changed at 80k and toyota will do it at no charge.i have had good luck taking the maunual into a service manager at toy dealers and shopwing it to them.i just give them my vin#, tell them to give me the sensor,and put the labortime on their favorite tech's time sheet.just an idea.it worked for me in tennessee and michigan.they do ask you to show them where it says that so be preparred.steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts