Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 tundra V-6 and I'm getting a check engine light. I went to Autozone had then Stick there Reader on it. He pulled the code and it said: 1st Bank running rich. I'm like how the hell does it know that. I have 2 O2 sensors one before the cat after the y pipe and one ofter the cat. There is only one fuel line feeding both rails through one preasure regulator, It is not like there is two systems one for each bank!

Has anybody heard of this problem or had this problem? And if so How did youi fix it
thanks for the help

josh

·
Registered
928 Posts
You are right, there is only one bank. You have to realize these OBDII error codes are generic to ALL OBDII vehicles.

You are running rich. Have you changed out your injectors or anything similar? You might also have an o2 sensor going bad.

Hell, sounds like a good excuse to slap a supercharger on it and call it good!

If you want better help troubleshooting a 3.4, roll over to www.ttora.com and check out their forum. There are several guys over there that know what's up, if you can sift through all of the "What exhaust sounds the best" threads.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I have some o2 sensors from a 97 runner for cheap, if you need them.

Also I have a bad o2 sensor on my 92 runner does that make it run richer? sorry to hijack a little

·
Registered
51 Posts
The bank 1 lean is a generic code. Some different engines do have the o2 sensors in place and can tell a difference. I got the same bank 1 lean code when I had a leak in the intake plenum. I think you will also get the same code if you have a really dirty air filter or if you have a K&N or similar and have over oiled the filter. The oil will get pulled into the intake and trip that code. Check for any vacume leaks or bad injectors or fuel restrictions.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found this when I was searching for the locations of the sensors. I think it is pretty good tech.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/4Runner/tech/O2_Sensor/
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/4Runner/tech/OBDII_ECU/

My code that it has is a: P0172 System too Rich (Bank 1)

per this webpage this is what could be wrong:
1-Injector Leak, Blockage
2-Mass Air Flow Meter
3-Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor
4-Ignition System
5-Fuel Pressure
6-Gas Leakage from the Exhaust System
7-Open or Short in the Oxygen Sensor or associated wiring
8-Oxygen Sensor Defective
9-Engine Control Unit

I'm thinking about buying one of these just for future Problems, The interface is $96 and the software that he has if free.
http://obddiagnostics.com/index.html

I went out and looked to try and find any more O2 sensors and there is not any just one before the cat and one after, unless they are under the pipe somewere or between the manifold and head? Who knows! I'm hopefully going to get it put on a real scanner in a shop this weekend.
thanks josh

·
Registered
928 Posts
I have one of those scanners and it is rad. You can really see what is going on with the ECU of the truck.

There are only two O2 sensors, as you said.

You could try cleaning your MAF (read up on the tech on that, search on K&N check engine light), smell for fuel leaks (unlikely) then sadly I'd say the O2 sensors.

If your junk is still under warranty, you might let the stealership monkey around with it.

Also, is your engine running rough? Checked to make sure all of your wires are plugged in good and your plugs haven't backed out for whatever reason?

Good luck dood!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks I will Clean the MAFand see what that does. I just put new wires and Plugs in yesterday. Do you have to use a code reader to clear the codes? or can you just disconnect the battery?

Yeah I kind-of think it is the O2 Sensor Just don't want to drop $130 on one and that not be the problem.
josh

·
Registered
928 Posts
Nah, you can go to autozone and they can pull/clear the code for you. I don't think disconnecting the battery will do it.

I don't blame you on the o2 sensors. Eliminate everything else before replacing those bad boys. Hang on a sec, here is a link for how to test out your o2 sensors:

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showpost.php?p=128311&postcount=10

holla!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cool thanks for the help! When I changed the wires and plugs I left the battery disconnected and the light stayed off. But after awhile it came back on do you think the ECU is reading the stored code and turning the light back on?

thanks for you help man I'll try that O2 sensor Test. I might have to buy a sensor after that test with all the warnings in that test.

Josh

·
Registered
928 Posts
I'm pretty sure you have to clear the codes, but I'm not a 5vzfe ECU guru. Like I said, Autozone or one of those places can pull the codes for you and clear them and I think they do it for free.

Good luck dood! Also, just re-double check your wires and plugs to make sure they are all firing properly. If you have one cylender not firing right, you could easily trip a rich code.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah!!

Well I get home and get some Alcohol and go to clean the MAF. I always disconnect the battery when I work with any of the electronics. Cleaned the MAF, Boy was it dirty, put it back in and connected the battery back up. Started the truck and the Check engine light was off. Yes!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I drive it to the Autozone and have them Pull th eold codes and clear them. Well there wasn't any in there, So I guess when you disconnect the battery for X amount of time it does reset the computer and clear the codes!

Thanks for all the help and the new Knowledge I have learned about OBDII Computer and systems
Josh

For searching! Check Engine Light 3.4l V6 5V-ZFE MAF Cleaning ODBII

1 - 12 of 12 Posts