Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one quick question about what type of air pressure switch to use with my on board air?
I have searched alot and could see a few good pics but some of my questions were still unanswered lik
i dont think the voltage matters for the switch does it?
also on my compressor the barb valves are on the motor side and on alot i have seen the valvs on the fender side?
do i use both valves and t them together to make more pressure?
plmk any help i would greatly appreciate
thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,778 Posts
air switch or electric...

Contacts are held open on a mechanical air pressure switch until the pressure drops and closes the contacts turning on your system. This is the kind that I have for my system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what brand?

which brand are you running with the model # please
i have seen alot of the square d brand and on the onboardair.com site they sell one but i just want to pick mine up locally
btw thanks for the help
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,176 Posts
doesn't matter what brand, just find the cheapest one you can find. Just tell the guy at the hardware store that you need a basic pressure switch without an unloader for a 110 air compressor. Don't tell him what you are using it for, it will just confuse him.

BTW, you can't tie the two fittings on the compressor together, one of them is the intake and the other is the exhaust.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,945 Posts
Go to Home Cheapo or ACE HArdware and go to there air compressor area and find there little parts section - buy the cheapest pressure switch you can find - it doesn't matter what voltage rating it has - you will just run it at 12volts and it will still switch just fine. Mine came off a broken little cheap contractor air compressor. It was headed for the dumpster but the switch worked fine.

As for the fittings - you need an intake and an output - the compessor should be marked as to which is which. Mine is marked right next to the fittings very clearly - "IN" , "OUT"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks

thanks for all the great help guys
i gotta get this oba up and running,sooner than later
 

·
no strings on me
Joined
·
4,121 Posts
I used the website below to build mine. It has worked for almost three years now without fail....damn...should not have said that...now it will die this weekend. :D

Jon's Onboard Air Page

Random addition: (Ditto on the pressure switch. Just ask for a pressure swith for an air tank or a well pump....its all the same...Might want to make sure the switch is set to shut off b4 it builds to much pressure.....I think you wire the circuits side by side to make it work....IIRC. Air tank off wrecked trucks or heavy machinery tuck under the rear seat portion of the bottom of the tub nicely.)

HTH
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
560 Posts
Hayraker said:
doesn't matter what brand, just find the cheapest one you can find. Just tell the guy at the hardware store that you need a basic pressure switch without an unloader for a 110 air compressor. Don't tell him what you are using it for, it will just confuse him.

BTW, you can't tie the two fittings on the compressor together, one of them is the intake and the other is the exhaust.
Hayraker,

I have a pressure switch but it has an unloader.

Can I use it?

Can I use it with out pluming in the unloader?

Thanks
Carey
 

·
no strings on me
Joined
·
4,121 Posts
ScoutIITD said:


Hayraker,

I have a pressure switch but it has an unloader.

Can I use it?

Can I use it with out pluming in the unloader?

Thanks
Carey
I think mine has the unloader built in as well and I added a popoff valve as well...fyi per the site I referenced above. Mine hasn't caused me any problems. But that's just me.

:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
560 Posts
YellowIH said:


I think mine has the unloader built in as well and I added a popoff valve as well...fyi per the site I referenced above. Mine hasn't caused me any problems. But that's just me.

:D
Wesley,

Did you actually pumb in the unloader valve, or did you just skip it?

I was hoping to skip the unloader and just use the popoff valve.

I think they can be skipped. The unloader is there to release the pressure in the compressor head to help with startup.

What does everyone think?

Carey
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,176 Posts
Yes you can use it without it plumbed in.

The reason I said to get one without the unloader is because they are unnecessary and cost more than a standard switch.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top