Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, looking to upgrade the interior in the centurion, and trying to do some preplanning. I'm curious as to how much interchanges between the older style trucks such as my 90' Centurion (f350 crew cab) and the superduties, namely the 08' and newer dash, and perhaps the door panels as well.

My google fu has not been on point and I haven't been able to find anything, and I'm hoping some of you guys might be able to shed some light on this.

We'll start the dash, from the 08' and newer trucks, how much different are the dashes between the two era's?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Interior-wise, nothing is going to be interchangeable. The cabs are not even the same. The most you can upgrade to, would be the last model year in that cab design….1996

Having said that, if you're determined and you have some accurate measurements, you might be able to install a newer dash at considerable effort. You would have to do some cutting, fabricating, modifying to get it it physically fit your cab, then wiring it up will be a different pile of issues.

Ed

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I can't remember exact numbers, but the dash is 4 or 6" wider in a super pig. Seat swap is about the limit for straightforward minor modifications.

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interior-wise, nothing is going to be interchangeable. The cabs are not even the same. The most you can upgrade to, would be the last model year in that cab design….1996
This is pirate, not gay truck bolt on part world. I'm not afraid of cutting stuff up to fit, and making it pretty. I'm not a fan of the 96 era dash in these trucks. M only other option would be something from tube and sheet metal, and that's what I'd compare the level of work between making something newer fit, to building from scratch.

I can't remember exact numbers, but the dash is 4 or 6" wider in a super pig.
That much? I would've thought the older trucks were wider, with narrower doors/panels, etc. My biggest concern was going to be the curve against the windshield and the amount of stick out into the seat area. I wonder about the dash out of the 09 and newer f-150's, should be narrower I think.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I remember mention of it in magazines back when they came out, and I even measured mine when I had both. The S/D is a wider truck overall than the OBS. I'll see if I can scare up the Ford dimensional drawings in a bit here when I get on an actual computer.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I think an 2004 or newer F150 dash would fit. A guy put one in a '78 so it shouldn't be too bad. There are also a few Raptor dash swaps out there.
Cutting 4" or better out of a dash will look like shit.

·
Safety third!
11,373 Posts
This is pirate, not gay truck bolt on part world. I'm not afraid of cutting stuff up to fit, and making it pretty. I'm not a fan of the 96 era dash in these trucks. M only other option would be something from tube and sheet metal, and that's what I'd compare the level of work between making something newer fit, to building from scratch.

That much? I would've thought the older trucks were wider, with narrower doors/panels, etc. My biggest concern was going to be the curve against the windshield and the amount of stick out into the seat area. I wonder about the dash out of the 09 and newer f-150's, should be narrower I think.
On my '83 the future plan is to do aluminum door panels and an aluminum dash. I dig the old school stuff, and figured it wouldn't be too bad to build a square tube structure with aluminum sheet bent to match the existing shape on the driver's side, and extend that line all the way to the passenger side. Idea would be removable panels, and retain the stock cluster, A/C controls, and vents. Basically just remove shitty 80's plastic and cracked dash cover and replace with something that will last as long as the truck still exists. That's the long term plan at least, what I have now is still functioning and holding up after 34 years of beating.

A member here gave me the dash out of his '79 Bronco at one point, and I wanna say it was 1" off from fitting correctly into the '80-96 cabs but I can't recall which way.

I think an 2004 or newer F150 dash would fit. A guy put one in a '78 so it shouldn't be too bad. There are also a few Raptor dash swaps out there.
Cutting 4" or better out of a dash will look like shit.
There's a guy on Youtube who set a 1965 body on top of a newer Ecoboost truck. The width looked pretty close, but I wanna say he cut the floor and firewall out of the late model truck and was able to graft them and the dash into the floor of the '65. Not the same as an '80-96, but it may give some ideas.

·
Registered
669 Posts
This is pirate, not gay truck bolt on part world. I'm not afraid of cutting stuff up to fit, and making it pretty.
And thats why the Ghetto Fab/ Hack Jobs thread will never go away :flipoff2:

I'm not a fan of the 96 era dash in these trucks. M only other option would be something from tube and sheet metal, and that's what I'd compare the level of work between making something newer fit, to building from scratch.
If it were me, I'd choose option two. I'm a sucker for an aluminum dash with enough Autometer gauges to make the cockpit of a jumbo jet jealous. :grinpimp:

Ed

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
raptor interior in a 96 bronco

Also has the 6.2 from the raptor.:smokin:
I knew I had seen a swap like this done somewhere before, and it was the very truck, awesome.

Looks like I'll start with an 09 and newer f150. Just need to figure door panels, but the aluminum may be an option.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts

·
Safety third!
11,373 Posts
raptor interior in a 96 bronco

Also has the 6.2 from the raptor.:smokin:
That's awesome. Looking at the engine pic, he stole the firewall out of the Raptor and grafted it to the Bronco body like the guy with the '65 did. You can see the cowl and then another cowl/boxed in firewall deal below and forward of it.

Either way, cool as hell, but needs more fender flare to mimic the raptor and make the tires look like they match the width.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.