Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally making some steady progress so figured I'd start a build thread. Not to many OBS builds out there.

Started out a stock 97 Silverado I drove up to NC for and picked up a 89 F250 on the way home. The next morning I had the IFS out and the ferd stripped down and proceeded with the necessities in life and began the swap. At the time I was planning to DD and I did for about 4 months until I went up to gulches and had a little bit to much fun. Snapped the rear shaft on shipwreck like a twig. Since I'd have to get a new shaft anyhow decided now was the best time to shorten the wheel base and buy a real DD...then I cut the truck in half.

Plan is to build it to ECORs class B rules so when I have the cash to race, I can without any major modifications. Rear suspension is a 1 link with the "small" EMF Frankenheim and 2.5x18 Fox Airshocks. Front right now is sitting on a 60 with 56s, high steer, assist, locked and Alloy 35spl all around. I have 5.13s for the front and rear but waiting until I have a locker for the 10.25 so I don't have to pop the cover two more times.

Anyways here's some more pictures of the latest. Progress should be progressing pretty quickly hope to have it moving again very soon.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's a few of the front. Plan is to 3 link it as soon as funds allow. Probably going to build a new front frame section. It'll be narrowed and take as much off the front of the hood as possible. Radiator fans and all get moved to the back batteries in the cab and so on.

Next step is get the shocks mounted in the rear and build the track bar setup. Then boatsides and on to the interior cage. Have to order more tube Monday morning. Hopefully Obama will get my tax money back soon so I can waste all of that on this money pit too.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Made a little bit of progress after work today. Still waiting on tube to show up so I can get a little more done on the back and start going into the cab.

Got the track bar bent and fitted at full bump. Once I get it finalized I can start mounting the shocks. Hopefully I will make some good headway with that on Saturday.

Full bump

Sitting about an inch higher then ride height

Hopefully next week I will start getting the fuel cell in place and figure out my driveshaft situation.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Awesome build man! I love to see these OBS builds. I too have an OBS but it is a dd/weekend wheeler so I could only dream to set mine up like yours. Sub'd so I can watch the progress

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,231 Posts
Dude this looks awesome! Glad to see some progress on the truck. Never seen a 1-link I liked as much as this one.

·
Premium Member
4,391 Posts
Looks like a great build and good parts plan...How flat parallel to the ground is the one link bar at ride height?

It is a shame River Rock is gone..I never made it through the Rat hole in my old rig but I wanted to try it again..

·
Registered
775 Posts
That's a nice Chevy !!! Simple an sexy ... I didn't realize there were that many pirate members close to me.

Angry black I miss the rat hole too lotta broke parts there.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys its coming along as money allows. First time doing a real tube project with 6 bends on different plains. Learning experience for sure.

The one link is 1" higher at the joint then the axle at ride height so almost flat. It's close to 6ft long and a heavy SOB.

Tomorrow I should get the shocks mocked up and some interior cage work done if I can knock out my real work quick enough.

Got some 40" grapplers on bead locks sitting in the corner may throw those on tomorrow to give me some more motivation

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got a little bit done today, not as much as I had hoped but progress none the less.

Started bringing the cage into the cab but dont want to get to carried away until I get seats and atleast a imaginary line for the boatsides since those will be a little bit later down the road. Also got a few of the main tubes fully welded so I can start mocking the shocks and cycling the suspension. Still need to adjust the hoops a little and get the travel dialed in. Looking for a usuable 8" up, 10" down. They are angled forward a good bit right now but once I rethread the tube adapter on the one link it'll bring the axle forward an inch.

Threw the grapplers on last minute couldn't resist seeing what they looked like on it. :D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Love the mud grapplers. Nice to see someone who will actually use them. I am the only one in my area that has them on a truck that wheels

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.