Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone have a link to a write up and maybe some pics for using a stock bumper on OBS (tahoe) to mount a winch behind??? I know there are hidden winch brackets, but most of what I am finding is for other vehicles... Thanks guys

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
This is something you'll need to just dive into...cut it up and plate where needed.

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
This is something you'll need to just dive into...cut it up and plate where needed.
I doubt there will be any other way than this. Too many variables and not common enough for aftermarket to cater to. I half ass tried on my Suburban HD build but a Warn M12000 is just so massive in size, there is no way to pull that off. I got it as high and tight as I could working within factory constraints but it still sticks out well past factory bumper location. Switch to a different manufacturer import winch which has much smaller profile/dimensions and you might get closer. Regardless, some custom work will need done to pull off. Not saying it isn't possible, just that highly unlikely you'll find an off the shelf part to make it work. If you really want it to happen, start researching winch size that will realistically work on your rig then find dimensions and see what you can cut to make fit.

Best of Luck,

Mike

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I doubt there will be any other way than this. Too many variables and not common enough for aftermarket to cater to. I half ass tried on my Suburban HD build but a Warn M12000 is just so massive in size, there is no way to pull that off. I got it as high and tight as I could working within factory constraints but it still sticks out well past factory bumper location. Switch to a different manufacturer import winch which has much smaller profile/dimensions and you might get closer. Regardless, some custom work will need done to pull off. Not saying it isn't possible, just that highly unlikely you'll find an off the shelf part to make it work. If you really want it to happen, start researching winch size that will realistically work on your rig then find dimensions and see what you can cut to make fit.

Best of Luck,

Mike
OK... looks like I will probably be getting a low profile replacement bumper then... Thanks

·
Registered
290 Posts

This was as close as I could get to the factory location with a M12000.

The bumper is exactly the size of the winch and keeps it as high and tight as I could without cutting the radiator support. Something like 2" further forward than the stock bumper. It sits on my front spring hangers so it's just flush with the bottom of the frame rails.

Surprisingly the M12000 DOES fit between the framerails on an OBS, but it's pretty tight and the bracketry to support it properly would be complicated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts