Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was dumb again and didn't look at the mixture label on the tank I got from Airgas...

84% Argon/16% CO2

I wanted to get 75/25 but didn't end up with that.

Hell I even told the guy at the counter the machine I was using (HH180), the wire thickness (.030), and the metal thicknesses that I was planning on welding (~ 1/4 generally)

bummer is now I am down for the weekend since Airgas is closed now.

This mix is supposed to work with thinner material generally (or spray transfer) how much colder of a weld will it actually make? Is it worth keeping and welding all weekend? or better to just get the right cylinder..

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gee, that sounds like a great idea.

That way, if it sucks, I'll be out $70 and have to grind out a bunch of crappy welds....

·
Window Licker
14,756 Posts
Gee, that sounds like a great idea.

That way, if it sucks, I'll be out $70 and have to grind out a bunch of crappy welds....
Try it on a piece of scrap. I really doubt they'll notice or even care if you used a few seconds blast of gas to test it out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
With the others. If your welding some thick stuff, shouldnt matter. You migth notice some difference, if you weld alot, as in everyday. Some folks will weld with pure CO2 cause its cheap. Its a long weekend, burn a few scrap peices and see what you think. I wouldnt stress too much.

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Funny thing, STEELMIX is written on the side of the tank...

:rolleyes:

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,986 Posts
Is 9% CO2 going to make a difference? What are you building, the space shuttle?

Use it, you probably can't even tell the difference v/s C25 (unless you're Jasonmt) then when the shop is open, take it back and get the C25.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I ususally run 90/10 or 85/15 to run the machine hotter. I really doubt you will notice a difference, but it all depends on your settings and what you normally do.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
You can weld with either pure argon or pure CO2. I doubt that there is any mix of the two that will magically make any weld fall apart. Now if it had some other gas in the mix, that would be different.

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pure argon in a mig setup on mild steel gets a very cold weld.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts