Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok im running a NP435 and a NP205 at the moment, and they are great, but i want to take alittle weight out of my truck, and also get a trans i could shift alittle faster in the mud, at the same time sticking with a manual trans. I have a Ford Toploader car trans, and advanced adapters makes a kit to adapt onto a Dana 20 transfer, which i also have. i realize i will be losing some gear in the trans, but low range in the transfer is alittle lower, i think around 2.3 or 2.4? I'm not sure about this from a strength standpoint either, but its just an idea i had.
Leme know what you think
Later
Dan

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Is it behind a big block? I think a car trans and dana 20 t-case are a resipe for broken gutted parts in a mud truck. Lighter is better to a point but when big power big tires and sticky mud are involved. Heavy is the better bet. I have seen 205s with all the high range guts removed. making it low range only and it lightened it up a good bit. If you want it to shift faster let go of the manual and run a c-6.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
There are guys who have ditched the stock shifter and went with a setup that will let you shift a NP435 like a madman. I dont feel like looking for any of the links, but if you want fast shifting, and you want to keep your 435, search, the answer is out there.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Go with a Dodge NV4500 They a Big block tested and approved.
The Bronco Grave yard has a conversion kit. It is a fully sincronized 5 speed. I think Dodge started using them in 95 In the 2500, and 3500 modles. It has a 5 somthing first gear.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are guys who have ditched the stock shifter and went with a setup that will let you shift a NP435 like a madman. I dont feel like looking for any of the links, but if you want fast shifting, and you want to keep your 435, search, the answer is out there.
OK dude, i seached, found nothing, help a guy out please??
Later
Dan

·
Registered
332 Posts
Learn to shift the NP435. My 77 F250 with a 600hp 460 had a NP435 behind it and I had no problems getting it shifted.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Going to an NP208 will rid you of A LOT of weight and I have seen plenty of full bodied roller big block mud racing rigs break lots of parts before the 208 gave them a hassle.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Going to an NP208 will rid you of A LOT of weight and I have seen plenty of full bodied roller big block mud racing rigs break lots of parts before the 208 gave them a hassle.
I'm gonna have to disagree with this-while the idea of the lighter chain drive case has some merit, the 208 is a ticking time bomb. I was one of those rare people that had a 208 that was doing just fine--stroker motor and tractor tires in my outlaw class racer. It lasted for three years without issue before it finally cracked the case- after that I could barely get through a single day of racing before any of the 208's I put in would be cracked or damn near broken in half- I switched to a BW1345 and have never had a problem since. BW1356 is a strong one too.

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
Is it behind a big block? I think a car trans and dana 20 t-case are a resipe for broken gutted parts in a mud truck. Lighter is better to a point but when big power big tires and sticky mud are involved. Heavy is the better bet. I have seen 205s with all the high range guts removed. making it low range only and it lightened it up a good bit. If you want it to shift faster let go of the manual and run a c-6.
dude... yer funny

if someone took 8 lbs of gear out of a 205, its still feckin heavy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Learn to shift the NP435. My 77 F250 with a 600hp 460 had a NP435 behind it and I had no problems getting it shifted.
think you can do 2nd to 4th in under 4 seconds?? if so, you are the fawking man, and i bow down...but i really doubt it, i have tried, and it is a mutha!
Later
Dan

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
think you can do 2nd to 4th in under 4 seconds?? if so, you are the fawking man, and i bow down...but i really doubt it, i have tried, and it is a mutha!
Later
Dan
I bet I could get dam close with one of them short throw shifters.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, i like the short shifter idea! i also thought about going with a lighter case, maybe a 1356? what will adapt to a 435 easily and not bust?
Later
Dan

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a buddy who Bogs a lot and he literally blew apart 2 208's in 3 days... two weeks later he bombed a freshly rebuilt 205... His silverado bodied beast sports a 69 Buick 430cid pushing over 500+hp 44" tires... I gave him my NP202 and he has yet to break that beast... He often complains about the weight but nothing has brokens (Gear wise). As My buddy Mike says:
"Listen hear man... I gotta myself some full-unda-belly-skid, gobbs of thunderous ass kicken ponies under da hood and the way I see it is... I hit the pit fast enough dis pig is eitha gonna drift to da right or drift to da left... eitha way if I roll it you bedda come and save my-ass cause it's yo junk dat got me into dis mess".
You gotta love a redneck that has money to waste on beer and trucks...

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
If the toploader you're talking about is the old style without the od gear for 4th run it, as you can put as much power through that as you can through a 435 without an issue (i know a number of mustang/fairlane/torino drag cars running way over 500hp through these things with no more than a good clutch and 1350 output yoke without any issues). My short throw is working pretty good (link 94step. posted), but i'm going to be redoing probably over the winter to make things a little smoother as if i'm not really hammering on it i will miss a shift, but when i don't it works wicked.

·
Premium Member
3,960 Posts
I think the 435 short throw kit is a good one, my buddy built one for his buggy, and has no problems nailing the 3-4 shift in drags.
As for the chain drive cases, my cousin runs one in his comp mud truck, bw 13-45, 2 seasons on it so far, with zero issues, behind a 600hp 12.7:1 460, and 38x11's. It's pulled the front tires leaving the starting line, and striped out 9" shafts, but never hurt the T-case yet.

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
Actually, the old Ford Toploader four speeds are VERY stout, and could handle what he wants. I used to run them in two of my old 1/4 mile cars and neither of them blinked at what I'd throw at them. Thats whats makes them so popular and valuable. I figure if they could handle the torque that would make my pig of a cougar sit up on the wheelie bars at launch they can handle what an average mudder can dish out. Plus, they shift super fast and smooth. Pretty tough to find one with the big block bellhousing these days though. Hell, it was tough to find one 15 years ago. I know you say you have a toploader, and your sig says you have a big block, but have you checked to see which version of toploader you have? I'd be shocked if you had the bigblock version and even if you did you'd be money ahead selling that sucker off. To be honest, I'd probably stick with the np-435 if I were you. My rebuilt unit shifts pretty quick and clean, and with the short throw setup it would be even better.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Both my np435 amdf my t-18 shift sloppier than my ex's nay, but I don't give a flying fawk. I bet the 250,xxx and 150,xxx miles don't help either one though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts